Boeing Unveils New 737 MAX Winglet

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, May 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aviation Week: Boeing Unveils New 737 MAX Winglet

It certainly looks interesting!
    :)

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  2. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting.. hehehe

Now Airbus turns to Boeing or rather Bombardier style winglets, and Boeing turns to (similar) Airbus designs except its much larger.. :p

jbcarioca, uggboy and rwoman like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    They just cannot make up their minds... :D

4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's all in the mix!;)

jbcarioca, General_Flyer and rwoman like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As always, " technology brings them closer "......borrow from one to the other!;)

6. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the main issue here is the looks, but more trying to uphold the winglet patent. Today's winglet patent expires in early 2013, and with this small change Aviation Partner maybe hopes for 10 more years without others to compete against.

7. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was my reaction to the photo.

8. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 737MAX still may be too little, too late but Boeing will make money, even if A320NEO continues to lead the sales race. Boeing probably gave in to do the MAX only after AMR and Southwest were threatened. To lose Southwest would be catastrophic for Boeing.

I still think Boeing should have made an entirely new aircraft using B787 technology rather than update a 1960's airframe. It is the B748 writ large, in competitive terms.

rwoman and Merlin like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I
    I really wonder how many more years (decades?) it will now be before we see a real new narrow body. At least from Airbus/Boeing.

rwoman and Merlin like this.
  11. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think we can start calling the B737 the SUFF now, and I'm certain it will outlast the BUFF with some years. 60 years old Big Ugly Fat Fellow (B-52) will after the updates done the next years be in service to 2040s. Then you maybe say the B737 isn't 60, it's only 45 years (and 26 days) since the first 737-100 took to the air. But if you take look at the fuselage barrel, it's identical to the B727 and B707. The latter is a 1950s design which built on the Dash 80 that was launched in 1952 - OMG, that is 60 years ago. In other words, the A320 is almost only half the age of the B737 (Airbus started the Single-Aisle (SA) studies in 1980). In reality the 737MAX will be in Airbus termes 737neo mk3.

I don't see any possibility for a short haul aircraft being manufactured as the B787. The carbon fiber reinforced plastic is more brittle compared with aluminium. A short haul aircraft can have four to six more movements than a long haul aircraft and with that the exposure will also be four to six more times more to the normal bumps and rough handling on the ground. To fix delaminations aren't easy; even to discover them can be difficult. Hidden weaknesses can lead to violent de-compressions, and then you may be lucky to only end up with not so violent de-compressions as the Aloha 737 cabriolet. This is only some humble thoughts on a Friday evening from someone who has studied polymers for only two years at the university level.

rwoman and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.