Boeing scores big order of 737 MAXs at Farnborough Airshow

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Jul 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    USA Today: Boeing scores big order of 737 MAXs at Farnborough Airshow

Good news for Boeing!

:)

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    THat was no victory over Airbus because they already ordered roughly the same number of A320 NEO's some time ago. Remember, they'll always order both brands just as Mr. Udvar-Hazy has always done. Anyway, it was very good news for Boeing who've been fighting to get orders for a plane that was just a concept launched as it was in desperation to not lose AMR narrow-body orders completely. Boeing a year ago was insisting they'd not make a new B737 replacement announcement for another year.

uggboy and rwoman like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    People love the 737...lol :)

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That really is not the issue since A320/B737 passenger reactions are more or less equivalent. The issues Boeing has had are the 1960's era fuselage design of the B737 which has been the subject of dozens od Airworthiness Directives, incidents and accidents, and is a maintenance issue as well as an inefficient design to build. Despite that the B737 has an otherwise excellent record. Boeing had wanted to wait until the teething issues of the B787 and B748 were well behind them and they had a notion of the effect of the A350 on the B777 so they could make a planned decision regarding B777 updating and B737 replacement.

They did not wish to do an update because a complete new technology replacement would be a serious leapfrog of the A320NEO. Airbus reengining the A320 was rational for them because it was equivalent to the B737NG for Boeing, i.e. a mid-life update. Being forced into the B737MAX is not a good thing for Boeing because they're using sub-optimal technology. Timing was the issue. they did discuss doing the 737 replacement rather than the 757/767, but the smaller widebody market was going to the A330. History proved the wisdom of that decision by Boeing because of the mass orders for the 787, most of which stuck despite the delays. In service it is doing fine.

From a twenty-year view I think Boeing should have replaced the 737 rather than doing the MAX.

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Timing is everything...:)

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, as a passenger, my reaction to the 737 versus A320 is that they're not at all equivalent. DL uses A320s (and A319s) with 12 FC which their 737s ave 16 FC. This makes a huge difference to me!

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aer Lingus uses Airbus A320 and I like them, have flown a few times on the Boeing 737 types, liked them too, as for me, the competition starts in earnest with A330 / A340's which I find better than the older B747's.:confused:

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, and United has A319/320 with 8/12 FC, while their Boeing 737-700/800s have 12/20 FC. So Boeing rules! ;)

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Southwest has all 737s (excluding 717s) and just coach and mediocre legroom. JetBlue has A320s With just coach and much better legroom. And wider seats! So there :)

Jokes aside, it doesn't make a huge difference to me. I wish of them had gone for a complete redesign, so I can fly on a truly nw narrow body in my lifetime. Now it looks like I have to take great care of my health to see that happening ;)

10. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. For every RyanAir there is Spirit Airlines.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.