Boeing launches 787 battery info site

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Gargoyle, Feb 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Boeing has launched a new website with info and updates on the 787 battery saga:
    787updates.newairplane.com

2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    As of right now, I will say that this is a very clever move on their part. I do, however, reserve the right to say it is idiotic if the content they post over time is either a) misleading b) outdated or c) incomplete to the point of uselessness.

sobore, jbcarioca, Flyer1976 and 2 others like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's amazing how a battery can ground planes and corporations alike. I hope they find a solution and the 787 Dreamliner can soar again soon.

ella, Gargoyle, sobore and 3 others like this.
  4. robmac

robmac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm with you, I have yet to try flying in a 787 :(

5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was disappointed but not surprised at the lack of disclosure on this site. As it is written it seems odd there is a problem; everything seems to be fine. I know it is unfair to expect candor, but this site seems largely pointless.

autolycus, uggboy, Gargoyle and 2 others like this.
  6. robmac

robmac Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is, after all, a site created by Boeing ;)

I did appreciate the explanation on batteries and advanced airplanes:

http://787updates.newairplane.com/787-Electrical-Systems/Batteries-and-Advanced-Airplanes

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  7. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    The site isn't directed at you. It's directed at the mainstream press and lay customers who know nothing about aircraft or electrical systems. As I said, it's a good move, but I reserve judgment until we know how much timely information they will actually put on the site. So far, it's pretty limited.

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right you are. BTW, there are more complete electrical system descriptions than are in this site, but most of them seem to require limited-access sites, mostly airline and maintenance company sites. I have managed to get access to a couple of them. From a pilots perspective if it works well the B787 seems to be a very easy plane to deal with. As with all modern airliners it is more about machine operation than flying. As with all modern airplanes, abnormal and emergency procedures dominate training. That, IMHO, is exactly as it should be.

autolycus likes this.