Boeing adding wireless connectivity options to 777 and 748

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by viguera, Sep 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    A good move IMO, since you never know where regulations are gonna end up, and you leave it up to the customer to decide whether or not they want to add the feature later, but at least the plane is ready to go when the decision is made. The cell phone bit of course every looks at with the crooked eye, but live TV and WiFi are always welcome.

Never mind the problems with etiquette, cost or any other type of roadblock, it's always better to have the option added by the manufacturer than hacking something together after the fact.

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=2417

marcwint55 and ACMM like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree would like to see this also on the 787s

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wifi is always good... although I'm less than enthused at in-flight cell technology. If I need to reach someone and I have wifi, I can use iMessage, email-to-SMS, send an email or use a messenger client to reach someone. People already talk loud on cellphones just about everywhere. Me trapped at flight level 350 with an obnoxious loudmouth would end badly for one or both of us.

4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. No for me to inflight cell phone use.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

marcwint55 and macbookguy like this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I likef the idea of all technology being available inlcuding cell phone. I remember the old built-in phones on planes, and I never had a problem with myself or anyone else using them. Even without a phone one can Skype or Magic Jack on the computer and still be obnoxious if they are that sort of person.

macbookguy likes this.
  6. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just never saw anyone using those phones. I always assumed they were too expensive :D My upbringing I suppose...

ACMM and marcwint55 like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used them towards the end when I could get $10/month + $0.10/minute and it was the difference between a conference call on the plane (mostly me listening, not talking) or missing dinner at home on every Thursday.

That said, the big deal about this announcement is that Boeing is going to let the installs happen during the aircraft assembly process rather than as an after-market addition. The planes can be equipped with the gear today but getting it as a line-install option will make it much easier for carriers to choose and probably a bit cheaper, too.

viguera, marcwint55 and macbookguy like this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    they were a bit expensive, but sometimes necessary for business.

macbookguy likes this.
  9. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah no I got that part... I just worry about it getting easier and cheaper ;)

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    These are the same systems which provide sat-based wifi. It is good for passengers that they are going to be cheaper and easier to have access to.

macbookguy likes this.
  11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well this cat did use those phones ... not for calls but for data ... I would setup a bunch of emails to replicate out of my local replica to the server, use the data jack on the phone to dial out, and send my email ... allowed me to keep on top of things while in the air on longer haul flights. We will not mention the final cost however :) Business was business :)

macbookguy likes this.
  12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the problem of course is built-in obsolescence. Reminds me of the built-in analog cell phone connections that came in some cars. Then the analog cell phone went to hell and you had no use for the jack or the phone.

macbookguy likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The systems being included as part of this line-fit effort are the newest ones available and will likely be the product of choice for the next 5-10 years. Plus, once they start with the line-fit option it won't be too hard to upgrade to a new radio to switch to new satellite bands, for example. Ditto for changing 802.11b to g or a or n or whatever else.