Boeing 747 jumbo jet lands at wrong (tiny) airport

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MSYgirl, Nov 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    [article]

WICHITA, Kan. (TheBlaze/AP) — A jumbo jet that landed at the wrong airport Wednesday evening and was potentially stuck there due to its size is set to take off around 1 p.m. ET Thursday.

But it’s still rather unclear just how the pilots of a Boeing 747 Dreamlifter landed at Col. James Jabara Airport instead of its intended target — the McConnell Air Force Base in Wichita — about eight miles away. Jabara’s runway is just 6,101 feet long, much shorter than is ideal for an aircraft of that size.

[​IMG]

A Boeing 747 LCF Dreamlifter sits on the runway after accidentally landing at Jabara airport in Wichita, Kan., Wednesday night Nov. 20, 2013, thinking it was landing at McConnell Air Force Base. (AP/Wichita Eagle)

Roger Xanders, chief of the Wichita Airport Authority’s police and fire department, told KMBC-TV that nonetheless the plane should be able to take off around noon Thursday. The plane, operated by Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings, has been turned around by a tug to prepare for departure, said Brad Christopher of the Wichita Airport Authority.

“We’ve been in contact with Atlas company headquarters in New York. They’ve assured us they’ve run all the engineering calculation and performance and the aircraft is very safe for a normal departure at its current weight and conditions here,” Christopher said.

“It’s a good thing we don’t have tall buildings. The vertical lift is not that fast on that plane,” R.J. Martin, a former pilot who helped design Denver International Airport, told The Wichita Eagle.

Atlas Air spokeswoman Bonnie Rodney did not immediately return early Thursday calls and an email from The Associated Press seeking comment. Boeing spokesman Marc Birtel said he could not immediately provide any information on how or why the jumbo jet landed at Jabara.

sobore and Newscience like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    For those living under a rock or relying on MP on their news, the aircraft left tiny airport yesterday.

Newscience likes this.
  3. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    And why wouldn't you want to get all your airline news from MilePoint, instead of TOBB? :p

5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    :cool:This reminds me of the Antonov that landed at BDL:

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because if I relied on MP to get my airline (travel) news/information, I would know a lot less than I do by using other sources including, yes, Flyertalk.

7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is done more times than we realize, but I have only done it once....

it is easier than you think...