Body of missing world traveler found in Texas

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MSYgirl, Feb 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    [article]

The family of a Colorado woman who disappeared after returning home from a trip around the world with her husband says her body has been found in suburban San Antonio.

On Thursday, Garden Ridge police said they believed the body found was 33-year-old Leanne Bearden, but would not confirm what Bearden’s family claimed.

Bearden's family issued a statement late Thursday on a Facebook page they had set up in the search for her.

"Our family is understandably devastated by the news of the recovery of the remains of our beloved Leanne. We wish to thank the myriad of people who helped us search for Leanne and who supported us during this entire nightmare," the statement read. "We ask your continued prayers and good wishes for our family. Leanne was a lovely and remarkable young woman, and we will all miss her greatly."

Police said Bearden's jewelry and her ID were found with the body, which was located in a wooded area less than a mile away from where she was last seen on Jan. 17, according to the San Antonio Express-News. Officials said a man working in the area spotted the body Thursday and called police. The homeowners on the property declined to speak to the media.

anileze, foxberg and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very sad, tragic. :(

anileze and pete de jonge like this.
  3. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, very sad. A reminder to ourselves to not to go alone anywhere in an unfamiliar places.

anileze and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Texas?

anileze likes this.
  5. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anywhere that's not home. And I assumed she went for a walk in the evening time.

anileze and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there's a tendency to try to "draw a lesson" or something from incidents like this. One reason I travel is because I like to see and learn new things. That doesn't mean I'm not cautious, but it also doesn't mean I'm going to lock myself in my hotel room in Texas because I'm afraid something terrible will happen. I don't think it's realistic to read that much into an isolated event, tragic as it is. We don't really even know details yet!

pete de jonge likes this.
  7. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to the article: She and her husband are from the Denver area and had been staying at his parents' home in Garden Ridge, Texas. So, it's not like she went for a walk in the busy downtown area. And that's what I meant. Of course, we all travel to see new exciting things and don't lock ourselves into hotel rooms. The incident in this article was different.

uggboy and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, even more amazing -- she shouldn't take a walk in a residential area where her husband's parents live?

You're certainly entitled to that opinion, but I don't think you'd be my idea of an ideal travel partner :) (speaking only for myself, of course, no offense intended.)

uggboy and cc1972 like this.
  9. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you were my travel partner you would not be taking a walk there by yourself.

10. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What makes you say that? When people start guessing too much and assuming things without any real knowledge of the facts, that can lead to pretty weird stories that couldn't be further from the truth. Of course, every now and then one is bound to "guess" right, but let's play safe and stick with the facts.

uggboy and bigx0 like this.
  11. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a good example why people shouldn't guess. From what is written, they would have saved a lot of time if they had bothered asking the family.

uggboy likes this.
  12. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Till an autopsy or other facts are known, we should suspend judgement. It is sad indeed to die so young.

gregm, uggboy, foxberg and 1 other person like this.
  13. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is true, but asking people on the internet to suspend judgment (not speaking of this case or the people posting here specifically) is an exercise in futility. That cat got out of the bag the second the internet was invented, and it's not going back in. The second something is put on the internet, it's going to be judged. That's just the way it is. It probably shouldn't be, but it is. Again, not speaking of anyone here, but generally.

anileze and foxberg like this.
  14. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The case has been closed, and preliminary autopsy results indicate suicide:

gregm, anileze and uggboy like this.
  15. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    MSYgirl likes this.
  16. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sad, to end one's life in such a manner. It is a cowardly act - to commit suicide. I glanced through some of their blog entries. They seemed to have had a great time.

gregm likes this.
  17. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you may not understand how devastating (and hidden) serious depression is - or how painful so that one will do anything to avoid the pain. Not saying this is what was going on, but......

18. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do.

gregm likes this.
  19. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just goes to show you things are not always what they seem. I only read the article (didn't watch the video) as well as the other posts here. I suppose those of us who thought foul play, myself included, should "open mouth, insert foot". No matter what, sad story. It's interesting how life affects us all differently and that there are those who will end theirs early to "escape".

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.