BoB not available to First Class Passengers?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by MSY-MSP, Sep 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting experience on my last United flight coming back from DTW-ORD-SEA.

The first interesting part was being # 5 on the upgrade list on an E70 on a Y fare as a 1K. Yes I know it happens but never seen that on an RJ, and the gate agent was even more surprised.

The second interesting thing and I don't know if it is new or not (since the new BoB came out) is that on the ORD-SEA leg where I was in F, they offered us the snack plate, but it wasn't something that I really wanted to eat. So I asked if I could have one of the BoB items from the back. I was told by the FA that he couldn't bring me one of the BoB meals from the back. I asked if I could pay for one and he also told me that they are not allowed to sell or bring the BoB meals into F. I seem to recall that in the past you could do this if you didn't like the F meal option. Has something changed?

Sean Colahan and 8MiHi like this.
  2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised they won't let you buy the BoB meals...but I understand if they don't give them away for free. I would have just walked to the back galley and bought one there -- they're not going to know where you came from.

Flyer1976, IDGflygirl, 8MiHi and 3 others like this.
  3. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been on several flights since BoB when passengers in front were able to buy snack boxes.

4. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw a F passenger buy a snack box on my DCA-ORD flight a week ago. All that was offered to F passengers was one of those crappy bags of pretzels. :rolleyes:

genemk2 likes this.
  5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe the FA would not sell to the F passenger because then the "over entitles" in economy might not be able to buy one because it had been sold to a F passenger.:D

6. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cannot imagine what the FA was thinking. I have been in F when they served a crappy snack and asked to buy a snack from the back and the FA went and brought me the item and refused my credit card.

This one goes under lazy FA who didn't want to go the extra foot.
    Next time go to the back and buy the item.

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've encountered this 3 or 4 times on United when I didn't like the meal choice or was looking for something a bit healthier. A couple FAs politely told me I couldn't buy something from coach BOB because those were reserved for coach passengers. One FA was particularly demonstrative about it, refusing to take my credit card to buy something. She told me it wasn't fair because the airline had already loaded a meal for me. I finally just got up and walked in the back and bought a snack box from the FA in the back of the plane who had no issues selling it to me.

I can't say I understand why they don't want to sell me a BOB item, but I gave up trying to figure it out after it happened a few times. It just strikes me as silly.

Tenmoc likes this.
  8. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The two times I asked for BoB over whatever the F offerings were, the FA's were happy to get it to me ...for no charge.

9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    So glad I switced to AA - didn't like the snack offered in first, asked for a particular item from the coach BOB. It was delivered free and with a smile...... and this isn't the first time I didn't like the first choice and asked for a bob from coach - never an issue!

brodyf likes this.
  10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I agree, never had an issue with this on AA. Plus, you get that snack for free as an EXP if you get stuck in coach, along with a tasty refreshing beverage.

11. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wait you get a beverage in the back? I:D

12. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do wish that UA would comp a BoB box for 1Ks who miss the upgrade. Sigh.

Flyer1976, goalie and flyforawg like this.
  13. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jeff wants those 1Ks to be hungry for an upgrade, and to pay more for their tickets on a future trip.

14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have yet to experience that benefit. :)

15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have yet to experience that benefit. :)