Boarding Passes

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Sep 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone kept over the years all the boarding passes they have ever been issued by UA and their partner airlines?

aptraveler and goalie like this.
  2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    After mileage for the flight credits, I cannot imagine a single use for old boarding passes. :confused:

genemk2, sfo1 and ssullivan like this.
  3. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't even keep them for that. Other than times they've handed me a new boarding pass at the gate when I was upgraded, I've not had a paper boarding pass in many months, and I really prefer it that way.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have only been a UA flyer for 3 years, but I have EVERY single boardingpass issued to me except for my SMD4 SFO-IAH segment as them bastards collected the boarding passes. I keep them in envelopes that are labeled with depart/arrive date, Year, month, day, and routing. EAch for its own etkt number. I also keep copy of parkign paid for that trip too.

aptraveler and sfo1 like this.
  5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only reason this came to my mind is that what would happen if the UA computers crashed and all our flying data was completely wiped out? Not that it could happen, or could it?:eek:

aptraveler likes this.
  6. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good lord...why? :eek:

UA is a global company with billion dollar enterprise IT systems. While I can't say definitively, I'm still quite sure they have not only some redundant systems but also off-site backups for critical systems like that.

7. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its all nice and organized, its like a hard copy flight memory =D

genemk2 and MX like this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, what would happen?

Nothing.

aptraveler and HeathrowGuy like this.
  9. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Smart idea as far as I am concerned, you just never know and those that do not will only be able to say :eek::oops: it's really not much different than saving stamps, or letters or anything else that is of value, wish I had thought of it years ago.

10. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are 100% sure of this? Nothing is 100%

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, nothing is 100%. And yet there is still a value calculation you have to make when getting obsessed with something. Like, for instance, whether they'd let you mail in the BPs to prove your history or not. And even if they would, if they'd bother trying to recreate that history were there such a failure. And that's not taking in to account their back up processes or the fact that not too long ago they still had the hardware and software available to read everything from the Eastern Air Lines exports they did when merging those two FF programs in to the CO side of things.

I collect lots of things. I do it for fun. I certainly am under no impression that my personal "backups" of life events will be required or permitted should a company have a massive failure, the impact of which is FAR beyond whether my MMer status is still noted or not.

skyvan, aptraveler and sfo1 like this.
  12. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    They make good bookmarks (at least, the old card stock ones do).

I foresee the next question being "who still reads paper books?" :D

Misplaced Texan and sfo1 like this.
  13. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have every single BP stub stapled to each itinerary with said itinerary and it's brothers & sisters stapled to its corresponding MP statement since I joined in MP 1998

sfo1 likes this.
  14. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many of y'all have a filing cabinet filled with things like your water and electric bills from the past few decades? ;)

To each his own, but I've pretty much gone paperless with everything in my life as much as possible, and I much prefer it that way.

15. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. Lest we forget, major airline computer systems are among the most stable in existence, as they generally rely on long-proven technologies and are moderately complex in the storage and use of data.

While user interfaces to airline computer systems malfunction and fail on occasion (sometimes with noteworthy results), major breakdowns of core airline computer systems are truly rare, with no significant airline ever having suffered a irrecoverable loss of important commercial data in the 21st century to the best of my knowledge.

If one wants to worry about computer malfunctions causing problems only paper hard copy can fix, lose sleep over financial institutions instead -- unlike airlines, banks and investment houses are all over the map in terms of computing reliability and data storage and handling.

genemk2 likes this.
  16. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    But collecting boarding passes could also be fun to some people, memories of trips or whatever and yet it could still serve an important purpose.

17. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Who reads paper books, not many and that is a real shame.:)

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I agree that it could be fun and I don't fault anyone who does it for that reason. Like I said, I have collections, too.

The idea that somehow it is useful as a backup to the company computer systems, on the other hand....

19. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to use them for that all the time. It's pretty fun opening a book that I haven't read in years and having an old boarding pass fall out.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

Phudnik likes this.
  20. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't. I switched to mobile as soon as it became available just to reduce the clutter in my life.

It doesn't hurt that most of my boarding passes don't exactly have a profound memory attached to them. When I stumble across an old one it's more like, "oh, yeah, another winter meeting in MCI, I bet I hated that," or, "wow SMF in August, bet it was effing hot."

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

Pizzaman and ssullivan like this.
  21. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't you print off your annual summary at the end of the year? You'd have that in hard copy.

22. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is why God gave us FlightDiary

ssullivan likes this.
  23. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes I do