Boarding Intervals -- What's a reasonable interval between groups

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by canucklehead, Dec 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apologies for my rant.....

Lately (last couple of months) I have noticed that there is a rush to get everyone on board as fast as possible leaving not much time between the boarding groups. I had a few 777 and 757 flights where the GA calls Military and GS. Probably less than a minute later First, 1K (and business). One or two minutes later PE, *Gold....... Explorer CC holders....followed by another minute where Group 1 is called. This is usually the time when I finally get to the GA to get my BP scanned! :mad:

The problem I see with this is that the second group has not even gone through the crowd before the next one piles on. As the group gets thicker, it is near impossible to join the queue! Except for the Extreme Boarders (not to be confused with the extreme hoarders who carry 3+ bags ;)) --- I got pushed aside by a family of 4 rushing with the wife trailing and screaming "they won't let me in, tell them to move!" :rolleyes: Father turns around and blocks the queue to scream at those trying to board (the same ones he pushed aside) and yells at them to let his wife through! :eek:

Was no better on my UAX flight - agent calls Military, GS, 1K, First. As a bunch of us approach, he closes off the Premier Access line and we all shuffle to the other line. I'm a fast walker, but there was no way I could even get to the lane in time!

TravelMusing likes this.
  2. TravelMusing

TravelMusing Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow... what a drama! :rolleyes:

LOL! It sounds funny when I read it, but I am sure it was not funny when you are going through it! Sorry that you had to go through that!

catgirl, canucklehead and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is annoying. What is also annoying is the lack of consistency in boarding process (gee, new topic, right?). At LGA recently, they were boarding zone 1 when I got there, so I sauntered up the carpeted aisle. GA asked my status, said 1P and he directed me to the end of the line. I asked, "Aren't you guys doing the new boarding process that every other airport has been doing for the last year?" He responded, "No - end of the line." Thanks, LGA. At least they've finally done away with the boarding pass thing at the security checkpoint thing.

catgirl, canucklehead and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was starting to get annoying and served no purpose really...I mean the TSA checks the BPs eventually at some point so why have outsourced folks punch hole the boarding passes with a fancy star eh?

catgirl and canucklehead like this.
  5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My last couple of flights the GAs have called the next group before the current group has finished boarding. So when there's still a queue of 1K/Platinums trying to board the 1P/Golds and sometimes 2P/Silvers are already crowding into the lane. Perhaps that was less of an issue when they used different lanes, but now you practically need to behave like gate lice in order to board in your own group. I wish they'd let one group finish boarding before calling the next group.

catgirl and canucklehead like this.
  6. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have come to refer to this as "boarding the Jetway" since the GA ends up loading up a big line inside the Jetway rather than actually getting people onto the plane.

Scottrick and canucklehead like this.
  7. mbluecpa

mbluecpa Active Member

Status Points:
    Great description...and how I would describe at least half of my boarding experiences. Ideally, there would be a gap of say two minutes between boarding groups to allow each group of boarders to get through the scrum into the line but with the number of groups we have now, I guess that's really not practical. Given the very short intervals between calling groups and the human nature for people to surge forward every time an announcement is made (whether or not it pertains to them), I'm starting to wonder if I should just take the plunge and become a gate louse.

SC Flier likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I am early enough at the gate, I have no problems hanging out on or near the red carpet (as a 1K I'll be among the first to be asked to board, but I make sure I don't block the path for the occasional uniformed soldier/sailor). Don't care if others consider me a gate louse.

canucklehead likes this.
  9. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wanted to wring someone's neck about a month ago in DEN. Zone 2 was boarding, and I'm waiting in line behind other Zone 2 passengers. A guy comes barreling through the crowd past everyone saying, "Excuse me. Excuse me. Excuse me," but not really meaning it and not making any attempt to see who is or isn't actually a louse. He hands his boarding pass to the agent and boards the plane. I :rolleyes:.

Then I board to find him at the window in my exit row. I'm seated on the aisle. Someone else sits between us. Then the guy starts complaining to the new guy in the middle seat about how he can't stand all the infrequent travelers who don't understand the boarding process. :mad:

I couldn't even think of what to say at the time, but next time in the gate area it'll be, "Attention everyone! Zone Zero coming through!"

jupper and canucklehead like this.
  10. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps he was the father of the family I referenced in my story. That gentleman was also in a hurry and had no time for the infrequent travelers like myself! ;)

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or a loud "okay, you're excused, now go away!"

Or a loud "why?"

Or a loud "in case you missed it, the line ends there" (pointing towards the end)

12. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do they punch hole the mobile boarding passes, too?

jupper likes this.