Boarding Group Bias

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by 8MiHi, Apr 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    My college age daughter is Platinum this year through my MM companion status. Generally she travels with my wife (Platinum) and me so she knows Boarding etiquette. Recently she has made several trips without us and has found that the people in Boarding Group 1 automatically assume that she is in the wrong line (BG1) and that she should get the heck out of the way.
    Foolish, prejudiced individuals tried to push her and two of her college friends aside physically from the BG1 line in SFO as they were connecting to EWR after a break in Oahu. As an athlete she was able to hold her ground and show them her status, but it was a bit of unfriendliness that was not necessary.

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If someone tried to push me out of the way physically I would press charges for battery and assault on the spot.

LETTERBOY and gregm like this.
  3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, this is not limited to United or any one airline. As a weekly traveler, I see the gate lice twice a week. I feel funny 'cutting' in front of others, but after all, if you board with the first group you have to. If I waited (and I fly DL) for everyone to clear a path for F boarding, I'd be there forever.

Flyer1976, MX and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    These don't appear to be novice fliers (the so-called "gate lice") but rather Group 1 experienced fliers who believe they're more important than other experienced fliers ("gateholes"). Priority boarding entitles you to politely make your way to the front of the line, not to push other people out of it -- especially (but not limited to) people who actually belong there.

5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    On that note, I usually fly in seat 1A. On a flight where the equipment had a 2L boarding door, I do try to get to the head of the line so as not to have to wait for everyone to fit their cary-ons in and take their seats. I do, however, ask "are you boarding with F?" and if the answer is yes (and a lot of times it's not, which is aggravating) I ask, politely, if I may scoot ahead.

8MiHi and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Gateholes"- I love it!

I had to scoot around a bevy of Group 2 people yesterday at JFK, but only because the setup is so bad in the gate area. It feels like you board through a funnel.

Getting back to the OP, it reminds me of the thread on TOBB in the CO forum from a couple of years ago, "Looking Young and Being Elite," which recounted many experiences similar to the one your daughter had. Some entertaining reading in that thread, as I recall.

7. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I read some of that thread once. I also remember that it was entertaining.
    I suggested to my daughter before she took her trip that some flyers might not recognize that she belongs in BG1. She assured me she could handle it and I have no doubt she did. Her experience was mostly understandable in the charging crowd of FFs except in SFO.
    Yes it was a couple of people in BG1 who were insensitive and not the other non-BG1 flyers in the area.

foxberg and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    With a raised voice: "stop groping me NOW!"

There is no way I would show a fellow traveler my status credentials in a confrontational situation like that.

FlyingBear and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife who enjoys GS as a result of my MM companion match, often has fun with the gate lice. Not being one who is inclined to stand for extended periods in the boarding group lines, knowing she is going to be sitting down for x hours anyway. She often will approach the line about 5 mins before boarding and stand quietly in the BG 2 or even 3 slot, and wait for GS to be called. At that point she quietly approaches the agent, without having to plow through the gate lice and boards. This practice she developed out of experience where she would have to fight to find her way through the VIGL (very important gate lice) who would simply refuse to let her move up, time after time.

I've taken to her approach and in the case where they commence boarding with group 1, I just fall to the back of that line.

Ultimately I don't care when I board, but I do find it humorous to watch the VIGL posturing and more often that not, bragging out loud about their status, only to be offended and sometime combative when someone else gets to board ahead of them.

10. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I share the sentiment, saying something like that might risk getting the police involved (if any happen to be in the area or if someone calls them), and then she may get in trouble for making a false report.

11. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    how about "Stop touching me"
    Technically correct. Just that people like to think the worse.

12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It technically wouldn't be a false report if it's going to be charged as battery since you might have eyewitnesses after that. ;)

13. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Her explanation to me was that it was more of an insensitive 'DYKWIA plow through' than anything else. She is a very laid-back 'we're all going to get there at the same time' type of traveler who would likely step aside if asked with any courtesy.

LETTERBOY and Flyer1976 like this.
  14. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Speaking about boarding groups, if you arrive at the gate after your boarding group is called, would you, walk to your original boarding group lane and walk right up to the agent or would you stand in the line that is now being called?

15. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    My daughter's group arrived at the gate before boarding was called, so the complications of sorting through boarding later in the process was not an issue.
    As for SFO1's question, this is from the website:
    Premier Access priority boarding: Be among the first customers to board, or take your time and use the reserved blue carpet line at any time

sfo1, traveltoomuch and Flyer1976 like this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this on an airline where F is called to board prior to others? Or are you segregating the first boarding group to your personal tastes?

Depends on the situation but I've oft walked through "my" lane without any issues.

8MiHi, sfo1 and LETTERBOY like this.
  17. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where F is called prior to others. (And I am part of the F group)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  18. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I get to experience that from time to time because I look entirely too relaxed (dazed, out of it, whatever) right before the boarding starts and some of these gateholes try to push past me. A couple of times they would try pushing through, I would look at them and they indignantly say "I am 1K!". I'd just say "Me too", and they would back off. Then flying out of Washington to EU, several times I've seen older gentlemen try to cut to the front of a rather long Group 1 by just repeatedly saying they are First Class, even though there is no separate boarding for them. I am yet to see that work. In fact, I saw one of these guys shamed to go all the way to the back of the line.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A couple of weeks ago when I was flying from IAD to FRA the gate agent boarded GF and GS as the "first" group, separate from and before 1K and BF.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  20. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see that sometimes, but certainly not in the cases I mentioned.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Your post just reminded me of that case... perhaps those elderly gentlemen in your case have been boarded frequently by that gate agent? ;)

FlyingBear likes this.
  22. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    They wish. :p

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Come to think, the GA was an elderly gentleman himself.

Flyer1976, 8MiHi and MSYgirl like this.
  24. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    My daughter has told me she has read this thread and wishes to thank everyone for their support.

LETTERBOY, Flyer1976 and iolaire like this.