Boarding Etiquette??

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by chef4u, Dec 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife is "Star Gold" and myself and adult children have no status. We are seated together from EWR-MSY . As "Star Gold" she can pre-board. Are we able to join her, or is it up to the GA's discretion?

Kung Pao likes this.
  2. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can join her

3. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely!

4. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have a nice trip. I'll be there Sunday. Let me know your favorite MSY-area experience!

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never had a GA deny my wife (1P) the right to board with me (1K). I usually go first and mention that she's with me while I say "hello and thank you" to the GA. I have heard GAs make announcements that groups with mixed priorities are welcome to board with the highest priority (lowest boarding group number).

hulagrrl210 and AZjohn like this.
  6. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    I gave my 1st upgrade to my wife, and I ended up in E+ on UA, this past Sunday, LAX to OGG. My boarding was a #4, but I boarded with her. It isn't a problem on UA and I would bet on any of the airlines. (You would think that she would have come back and visited me in E+ with Jack and water in her hand --- But No, mumbled something about having to talk to a commoner .)

7. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cafe du Monde is a very high priority! :)

8. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:

I don't even like looking at the "littles" in the back of the plane myself. :)

9. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am pleased that you have such wonderful consideration to even ask, and OF COURSE IT IS OK! :) Jeez, most people just cut and push in front of you regardless of what boarding zone you and/or they are in. Just last week and at about 7.5 months pregnant, I literally got pushed by someone trying to get onto the blue carpet in front of me because they were in first class. :rolleyes: Funny thing is that I was too. :mad:

Titans26, Kung Pao, Scottrick and 3 others like this.
  10. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely! Great people watching over there, aside from the obvious coffee and beignets

11. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good etiquette... Boarding when you are supposed to (including with the highest priority member of your party).

Poor etiquette... shouting "get the **** out of my way you useless non-status idiots" even though it feels great.

12. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! There are a several locations. Is there are particular one you recommend?

13. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't even say anything about it (except hello, of course). I just walk up, make sure that I present my boarding pass first, and then wait for the rest of my party. No one has ever complained, except the other people traveling with me who were afraid they would cause a scene.

14. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love it when that happens and I happen to be sitting next to that person. I usually pick window seats, so I get the opportunity to say "Hello again! Would you mind moving while I get to my seat?"

KenInEscazu, Titans26 and hulagrrl210 like this.
  15. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Families with young children are also given priority boarding privileges

16. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    While pushing anybody is poor form, the other side of the equation includes elites who don't board when they are supposed to, but want to stand in the way of those trying to board, and when you try to pass them they say someting like "hey, they won't leave before all of us are on board."

17. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not true!

catgirl, AZjohn and Flyer1976 like this.
  18. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on the GA and station really...

Scottrick likes this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. New one for me. If someone's standing in my way and not moving forward even though they could, I politely ask if they are boarding with the current group. Never had a problem letting lower-level elites let me pass when it was my turn but not yet theirs. While I would prefer a more organized approach without clusters of people (as UA in NRT manages at the cost of many employees arranging people in the gate area), I ultimately try not to get too worked up about all this.

Scottrick likes this.
  20. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are always exceptions, however unless the family is wearing a United Stated military uniform, no matter how snot nosed their kids are, they probably ain't getting on the jet-way first and past a GS or a 1K, and I've never seen it happen on United. Only wheel chair folks and real old people are normally given the nod.

However, my daughter and her 2 little kids seem to pull this off almost every time, but my grand-kids are very special, don't ya know?:D

Flyer1976 likes this.
  21. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If that's them totting tots in your Avatar, they're adorable so of course they get away with it :D I once upgraded a 6 year old UMNR into the F cabin on SAN-EWR and let's just say there were some 1Ks pissed off about that since Plat Companions had priority over them :D

EX-LAX likes this.
  22. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I was living in Asia (this was before Star Alliance) Singapore Airlines would board like this

First, Economy class passengers were invited to board.
    Once everyone has setlled, the stewardesses would close the curtains.

Next, Business class was invited to board. Mind you could board with economy if you wanted to. Also someone in the lounge will make an annoucment, and gather pax.
    Once business class has settled, the stewardess would close the curtains

Lastly, First class was invited to board.
    Curtains closed.

When the plane landed, the order would be the reverse.
    First class deplanes first, and two stewardesses would stand guard holding the curtains.
    Once First class had disembarked, Business class would follow.

Only after First and Business class was off the plane, economy was allowed off.

Having been exposed to this, when I was younger, I personally dont care to board early. I prefer to let the riff raff settle, and board just before the doors close. Usually I have a small carry on that does not need much space (and checked luggage) so overhead space is never a problem.

Overhead space is never a problem anyway, on international flights usually, especially in Business.

23. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been to NOLA a few times as a tourist and always love going to the one on Decatur Street (across from one of the squares ... forgot what it's called. It's along St Peters Street)

25. USAir announces at boarding that folks traveling together may board together using the highest level FF status