BMW, Lexus or Acura?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TimeZoneCST, Jun 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay MP'ers, so if you were going to choose between a previously owned BMW, Lexus or Acura TSX which would you choose? Basing this on 2009-2011, under 40k miles, 4dr Sedan style. Assuming all the upgrades (Nav, Sunroof, leather etc..) I'm really looking at longevity and long-term maintenance costs as big factors. Thoughts?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll bite: BMW

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I think that Acura typically has the highest re-sell value and satisfaction over the others which might make it a bit more expensive when comparing but you'd need to balance that against the car itself. The TSX is the entry model so assume the comparisons are the 318 and the ES?

I'm an Acura owner of the TL kind but can say that other than a transmission maintenance recall item, I've never had to put a single penny into anything other than scheduled maintenance. I give the brand high marks.

SC Flier, jbcarioca and DeltaExpert like this.
  4. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That is pretty consistent with what I have been hearing. Although I am drawn to the BMW, for many reasons, it's beginning to become harder to get away from the reliability factor I am hearing so much about when it comes to Acura. I should have written TL not TSX. At this point I am comparing the ES, TL & 328i. Thanks for your comments guys!

Looking forward to hearing from more of you!

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a four-door sedan, should you also consider Mercedes and Volvo? Jag?

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I personally don't want any of them, but for reliability and durability there is little question other than the Acura. The others are fine cars, but they have not the same consistency of experience and they also are less astronomically expensive to repair when it is necessary to make repairs.

7. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So I understand jbcarioca, you like the Acura over BMW or Lexus?

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you plan to purchase the vehicle directly from its owner or will this be a certified used car purchased from a dealer for the brand? I some cases, the car would not only get warranty protection but also benefit from a mechanical guarantee and complementary service plan.

9. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good thought MSP. I do plan to buy a certified vehicle from a dealer. The warranty is a big part of the decsion, but also the cost of the extended warranty. Incidentally, I purchased an extended warranty on one of my current vehicles at a rate of around $2800 that got me from about 37k to 88k. Which comes to about .05 a mile if my math is right? The good news is I indeed needed to lean on the warranty at one point for about $5k. Well worth the $2800 I spent on the front end.

Does anyone have experience in purchasing an extended warranty for any of the above vehicles? Are the more expensive because of the "name" recognition?

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    No experience with used, but outstanding experience with new car warranty and service from Mercedes dealers in Europe and USA.

11. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you go with the BMW, make sure the one you get is made in the USA or Germany. The Mexican ones have reliability issues.

TimeZoneCST likes this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

TimeZoneCST likes this.
  13. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Better yet, make the trip to Germany to see it being built.

TimeZoneCST likes this.
  14. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a 2008 TL Type-S with manual transmission. For the most part, I love it. I've had one warranty issue that's been a frustration: there's a minor issue with the manual transmission in some Hondas and Acuras but for which the local Acura dealer has not been helpful. One day next month, I'll get around to taking it to our Honda dealer to get them to fix it instead.

Despite my own satisfaction with it, Mrs. Flier hates riding in it. The passenger seat is too low for her, and unlike the driver's seat, it doesn't adjust up and down. So I'll probably sell it within the next year, and Mrs. Flier will have a greater hand in picking my next car, for better or for worse. KBB value is about what I paid for it when I flew to SAT to buy it in Sept 2009, so I'm thrilled with my original price (after 2 months of shopping) and with the low rate of depreciation. In 2 1/2 years, I've put only about 14K miles on it. Meanwhile, Mrs. Flier's Hyundai Azera is as roomie as a BMW 7-series and has logged many more of our miles. It's taken a beating on depreciation despite being an excellent vehicle with an excellent warranty.

When I was shopping for my TL, my second choice had become an Infinity. I'll start there when I'm ready to get my next car. I also liked the new TSX, and Mrs. Flier liked that one, too.

We test drive BMWs each year during the drive events, but I can't bring myself to fork over the money for one that meets our demands unless we plan to sell it before the maintenance plan expires. I would shy away from a used BMW that is approaching its 4-year maintenance demands. And when will it need a new set of tires?

TimeZoneCST likes this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    A good tourist experience and a good souvenir (the car), thus saving rental fees and maybe leading to some tax advantages if the car is needed for your business trip or temporary job in Europe.

TimeZoneCST and 2MM_Guy like this.
  16. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    A bit over 5 years with a 2006 TL. So far, no non-maintenance $ spent. A handful of items needed repair during the warranty period. I like the car. I don't know if I'll ever really love any car, so the "like" is a good rating.

The BMWs you are thinking about all likely have the run flat tires. (1) I don't like the concept because you don't get a spare tire, nor is there room for one, and (2) $2000+ for a new set of tires.

TimeZoneCST and SC Flier like this.
  17. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, not a bad idea. I am headed to FRA in Jan '12 with a 13hr layover before connecting to BKK. Think there's enough time to get the deal done and get back to the airport? Now THAT would take efficiency to a whole new level!

18. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks BPS - that has been my biggest concern about going the BMW route. I hear from most that it's a lot like the lottery. You can either get a vehicle with no trouble for years or you get soaked. Maybe that has to do with where its made like what 2wheels said.

19. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're considering a 3-series, I'd suggest looking at a Lexus IS250/350 over the ES. While larger, the ES is also more of a "sedate" driving experience. It does not approach the handling/experience of a 3-series, while the IS is Lexus's sporty sedan. Also, interested at all in the Infiniti G35/37 sedan? Recently drove a loaner and found that it handled quite well, although the front seats did feel a bit claustrophobic to me.

I assumed 2MM_guy was referring to the European Delivery program, which is said to be cheaper than buying direct from a dealership, although you'd get that AFTER it was built.

20. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just saw a commercial on CNBC for a documentary called BMW: A Driving Obsession, airing on July 13th, 9pm CST, 10pm EST. Should be interesting.

21. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know where the new 5 series are being built?

22. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
  23. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
  24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    BMW is located in Bavaria, roughly Munich rather than Frankfurt. Mercedes is on the outskirts of Stuttgart.

The fun part is to try out your new car in Europe, especially on the Autobahn and other places where you can drive fast.

25. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    You would deserve a medal if you could squeeze in the delivery in 13 hours ;) But yeah, European Delivery is fun and its worth it, although if you were looking for a preowned car it might be a bit beyond your budget
    On the other hand....
    Our 2010 Hyundai Genesis is just approaching its first birthday(it replaced a no options 2009 Genesis leased from Hyundai), and its a great car for a bargain*...yes the driving experience is..umm...lacking and all the Hyundai dealerships that we've dealt with are staffed with incompetent buffoons...but we don't regret outright buying the '10.
    *(We got nav, the Lexicon stereo, a moonroof and the backup camera for $30k...can't even get a new 3 series for that!)