BMW European Delivery--Who Has Done It?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Art234, Mar 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I finally pulled the plug and ordered my new BMW for Euro Delivery around the end of April--meaning we will mis the Freddies, but so be it.

Has anyone here done Euro Delivery, and have you done any of the driving adventures recommended by BMW?

brucewil, gregm and Newscience like this.
  2. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Driving adventure you mean the one day race track class and trial in Carolina?

I haven't done a Euro delivery yet but know someone who did a BMW & pays for airline tickets, hotel vs BMW gives a factory tour and a 1 day racing adventure. Mercedes and Porsche and I think Saab also provide factory tours and US delivery model 4-9% off US sticker price.

Volkswagon does not participate in the US delivery program.

How much did you pay? Model, options, cost, location to be shipped?

3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    No direct experience with this, but I have heard that the Euro Delivery option basically enables you to enjoy a mini-vacation in Germany, courtesy of BMW (when you add up any savings on a BMW factory purchase). I recall a recent show on one of the cable channels that depicted an American couple picking up their new BMW at the Munich factory/showroom, and the factory tour that they received. And it's hard to beat a Munich vacation! ;)

FWIW, if I was in the market for a BMW, I'd prefer to buy "locally" in the US (interestingly, the BMWs sold in the US are assembled here, and have a significant % of US parts - although a greater total % of parts are German manufactured). At least that way you get the complete attention of local BMW dealer- before and after your purchase. And the BMW dealer near us will not only provide a (BMW) loaner car, should you ever need it, but they also drive the loaner car to your house and pick up your car for repair/service! :)

4. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Newscience, certain lines are made here, and certain ones only in Germany. I'm getting a new 5 series sedan, similar to the one I currently have but a diesel this time. I'm saving $80 a month on the lease by doing euro delivery, but I am buying the car through my local dealer, who is making all the arrangements.

Our tentative itinerary has us going from Munich to Bregenz Austria, then Strasbourg, France, Baden Baden through the Black Forest, then to Frankfurt, where we drop the car off and head home.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will you have any issues with the emissions here? I'm sure that's a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. I wanted to buy a car I liked that I saw in Bucharest, but I was told it was a "European model" and wouldn't be legal here.

7. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Greg, this is a US spec car, made for the United States, just being picked up in Europe and driven for a week.

8. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I thought, so it was a dumb question. So the next dumb question is what is so different than the US delivered model that you 'must have'?

9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know people that have done it, and the only real complaint was the fact that you have to wait for the car after you get back home, which can take a while.

IIRC the only other caveats is to make sure you meticulously plan the pick-up and drop-off, and I'd ask BMW for confirmation on everything. The last time I heard you could pick up the car at the Euro Delivery center no later than 3:30pm, and the drop-off at EH Harms could only be as late as 4pm Mon-Fri (they used to be closed on the weekends).

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but obviously you want to find out about this sort of thing so that you don't end up in a jam trying to drop off the car to head to the airport and find out they're closed for the day :)

Newscience likes this.
  10. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The details of pickup and drop off have already been worked out. Picking up on a Monday at 8AM (first delivery), and taking factory tour after the delivery. Then, dropping in Frankfurt the following Monday morning, for a 2:35PM flight home...should all work out.
    With regard to Greg's question, there is nothing on the vehicle I couldn't get here, it's just almost $4K less when you do European delivery...not sure why, but you get a whopping discount to pick it up over there, and they still ship it here free.

Newscience and gregm like this.
  11. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The reason for the discount is the difference in duty paid by BMW to ship a "new" car to the US vs a "used" car (it becomes used when you accept delivery in Germany and put any mileage on the vehicle). Mercedes and Audi also offer similar programs for European Delivery Option with ~ 5% discount due to the lower duty to import the car to the US used v. new.
    The delivery charge is the same regardless of whether you use EDO or US dealer to buy the cars.

dkelly1110, Newscience and IDGflygirl like this.
  12. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent. Thank you!

Newscience likes this.
  13. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    So here is the final itinerary--with hotels-if anyone has any comments or advice:
    Munich pre delivery weekend-- Rocco Forte Charles Hotel 3 nights
    Salzburg - Hotel Sacher Salzburg
    Bregenz - Mercure Bregenz City Hotel (Accor)
    Strasbourg-Regent Petite France
    Heidelberg- Die Hirschgasse Heidelberg
    Rothenburg - Hotel Eisenhut
    Frankfurt-Rocco Forte The Kennedy
    Returning car in Frankfurt, then flying home...
    Oh and air was on AA/BA to Munich and back from Frankfurt at a very reasonable cost in business...less than Lufthansa's contracted rate.

gregm and Newscience like this.
  14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy! This sounds like a grand vacation in Germany! :)

Art234 likes this.
  15. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Post pictures as soon as you can, please!! (Of the car :D)

Newscience and Art234 like this.
  16. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I will Greg--we leave in just 7 days...can't wait.

17. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    BMW paid for your airfare and hotel in Germany? The airfare was in J?