BMI Silver Status

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by SgtPeppers, Mar 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SgtPeppers
    Original Member

SgtPeppers Silver Member

Couple of days back, like many of you, I signed up for BMI to get Silver Status. I was accepted to the program and given a silver status. This morning here's what I got from BMI:

Couple of thoughts:
    1. Are airlines getting smarter and with popularity of "travel hacking" do you think this will happen more often?
    2. What do you think is the future of "travel hacking" if this becomes very common?
    What do you think?
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Yeah there are a couple of threads about this already, including one full of drama actually... :)

Regardless, I think it's unfortunate that they've gone that route, but understandable. It's their own fault for not protecting themselves better against this type of "hacking" (more like "offer sharing"), but at the end of the day you know it wasn't meant specifically for YOU, and they had the right to recant the status later.

Either way, I agree with some of the other comments that they could have been a bit less snarky with their attitude, and most certainly not follow up the "our decision is final" with the cheery "we have one of the best programs"

Regardless, it is what it is... just like a mistake fare or any other shared hook-up online, YMMV. Congrats to all those that managed to get it and keep it. :)

As to whether or not the airlines will get savvy to this type of thing, I would imagine that they will. The original Silver deal was dead, then a new one was found, and I guess they gave up on trying to change it and just decided to nullify the invalid entries. How they can go about getting smarter is something we probably shouldn't discuss... no need to give them any new ideas. :)
  3. Jaguar
    Original Member

Jaguar Silver Member