BMI - now that we're all Silver, a BMI experience!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Steven Schwartz, Mar 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    MODERATOR - I CHOSE TO POST HERE RATHER THAN THE BMI THREAD SINCE I BELIEVE MOST PEOPLE WON'T LOOK THERE AND THIS SEEMS TO BE GENERALLY A USEFUL BIT OF INFORMATION. OF COURSE, IF THE POWERS THAT BE DISAGREE, FEEL FREE TO MOVE [​IMG]

Now that everyone is talking about BMI, I thought I would share an experience from last summer. It's a bit long so I apologize and I will make it as brief as possible.

Transferred Starpoints to US Air during a 50% transfer bonus. Got two First Class tickets on Swiss from NY to Venice (where we hopped a cruise) and back from Athens. Of course, we stopped in Zurich each time. Then we decided it would be nice to use some of our free Hyatt nights at the Park Hyatt in Zurich. Called US Air to arrange a stopover and was told it was not possible. Rules are either an Open Jaw OR a stopover. Only solution was to make the Open Jaw NY to Venice and Zurich to NY while arranging the Athens-Zurich flight on my own.

Ready?! One way was $900 each. NOT
    Round trip (throwing away the return ticket) was better at $500 - but still more than I wanted to spend.
    So we looked at using US Air points again but they only cover round-trip and it was 45,000 miles each, which seemed like a ridiculous waste of miles.

Someone said look at BMI - amazing! They did one-way awards and their intra-European award schedule was peanuts compared to US Air (and everyone else). Business Class was 9,000 miles each so we needed 18,000 miles (no Coach seats available but if they were, it was only 6,000 miles each!). Much better than 90,000! Fine - I'll transfer from either AMEX or Starwood and another brick wall - they are not transfer options.

Found out BMI sells miles. At the time there was a 20% on purchased miles so I only had to buy 15,000 to end up with 18,000. In the end, it cost about $300 total; for the miles and saved me a bundle.

If you are thinking of an inta-European flight or need to be creative for a situation like mine, BMI is a great option. I think you can buy up to 21,000 miles/year (obviously, 42,000 per couple).

Just something for everyone to store in the back of your minds as yet one more option.

2. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great tip, thanks for sharing!

3. Pegasus
    Original Member

Pegasus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the write up. I have 55k orphaned bmi miles that I may actually get to use.

KIXman likes this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks OP for the nice write up. [​IMG]

5. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info, from a new Silver Status BMIer.

6. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great tip. Never considered BMI, but this could be a life saver. Thanks for sharing.

7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    you can buy up to 24000 miles per person per year, and if you have a family plan set up you can buy miles for each family member and consolidated all the miles into one account so that redemptions are easy.