BMI DIAMOND CLUB LOUNGE

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    For all matters related to Diamond Club

2. philcape
    Original Member

philcape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ooh... a lounge! How very grand! [​IMG] I'll help myself to the free F&B.

I've seen boards with lounges on FT but never really understood the logic (except maybe in one case). Seriously, is this a catch-all area for topics that are vaguely DC related but don't warrant a thread of their own? (To mop up the sort of OT topics that are so rife on the BA board, say?) Or maybe a better example would be the discussion on FT about the direction of DC under M&M and Mr Shock-Power's plans?

Hoping for guidance here. Would hate to be guilty of solecisms by posting inappropriately. (If I haven't already!)

3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I agree, this could be a catch all area for all things DC. Now with the speculation of DC to MM behind us, at least for this yr, we can focus on maximizing our DC experience.

4. Yeah, that Prock-Schauer thread was primarily a crap-magnet, as there was nothing substantial going on and it was very clear that there wouldn't be for quite some time. Look how long the thread lasted. It's also why it is now closed - and changes will be evident soon enough.

I think a lounge thread is designed for that exact purpose - to catch all. On most bulletin boards, where there is a 'lounge' or whatever, moderation style tends to dis-allow OT posting, so it is general banter, vaguely related stuff, opinion, invective and items that don't require a thread of their own.

IMH likes this.
  5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Have a decision to make now. This yrs plan was to switch to UA's FF since I thought DC was going to be gone and LH would have extended Senator to us for two yrs, giving me a chance to build status with UA. Since this is not happening, I have to re evaluate my plan. I could have gotten UA premier exec because I was going to structure my MR's and regular travel to be segment oriented and get PE via segments. But now with DC continuing I'm thinking to stick with DC. I love the family plan, especially when they put miles on sale and I can pick up 96000 miles for .02cpm + I love their 600 mile segment minimum+25% bonus (for silvers/golds). Is my logic correct to stick with DC for 2011 no that MM is not in the picture?

I may need to add a couple of Z MR's or F travel to get the 54k to renew gold, but it wasnt too hard last yr.
    Another feature that has me leaning back to DC is that with DC gold, I can use UA/*A lounges even when on domestic coach runs in the US. I think I've convinced myself back to DC.

6. philcape
    Original Member

philcape Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Admirably poetic!

7. FlyingOnceMore
    Original Member

FlyingOnceMore Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is the bmi forum and if it's going to have a lounge type thread, I can't think of a better name, to differentiate it from those in other forums, than the pub sounding "The Crap Magnet"

IMH and philcape like this.
  8. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    You mean that long thread wot I posted in more than once? :(

All joking aside: I'd never really seen the point of "lounge" threads. But then I'd never seen this explanation. Makes perfect sense.

If you're renewing then 38,000 will do the trick. Tip: don't make the mistake I did and book Z fares on CO. DC only gives 1.0x miles on those. :(

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!! Can we take a vote?

9. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
  10. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    As do I. Under last years cloud of doom I thought ..why bother? But there were 4000 status miles from the bmi Amex and then, unbelievably, 10,000 status miles from the "book a bmi flight on Amex" promo, and suddenly I was over a third of the way toward requalifying and I hadn't flown yet. Late in the year I'd requalified for NZ*GE, I was checking in to return from BNE to LHR in J and I subbed my DC card...bingo renewed again.

Today I got the Amex 4000. No sign of of anything quite as generous as the "instant Silver or 10,000 status miles" promo again.

Still, the more DC hangs on, the more I'm tempted to.

11. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

TuxTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was having similar thoughts about jumping ship to the new UA programme (whatever that becomes) or possible renew the LH SEN. However I'm definitely going to stay put with DC for the time being!

I was thinking of doing a free match to CO Plat but that opportunity seems to have gone now that they have moved to "challenges"... such a shame..

12. Bizi
    Original Member

Bizi Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's good to have this, since there may well be questions or panics which arise.

Any whispers about DC making redemptions harder or easier?

I am tempted to make a redemption like SYD-xxx-KTM; anyone flown there on *?
    I can only think of Cathay flights and am not sure I want to use QF miles for this; and have DC miles burning holes in me!

13. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:

They had the cryptic statement a week ago or so, "that in the next 3 weeks well will roll out more information/news about dc". I'm paraphrasing a bit, but am thinking in there may be some adjustments. I was proactive and booked a trip out of my DC account when I saw that. I didnt want to pay with more miles if I waited.

14. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I looked at OZ, and others, but DC also came out on top, especially with miles+cash redemption and the family plan, which we use a lot too. Looks like I have to find 54k in MR's this yr......

15. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Has the new level been confirmed as 54k? I thought that was still speculation?

16. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It always has been hasnt it? I mean it took 16000 to silver, then 38k from silver to gold so 54k. Am I missing something, but thats how I did the math to hit it last yr.

from dc site

There's never been a better time to join Diamond Club. Not only do you earn miles whenever you fly with bmi, you now earn more miles than ever before.
    When you first join Diamond Club, you will be a Blue member. It takes 16,000 membership status miles to reach Silver. From Silver it takes 38,000 membership status miles to reachGold.
    As you progress through the Diamond Club membership levels, your benefits increase. Take a look below and see for yourself.

17. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    As pointed out in post 8 above, to keep BD*G you need to earn 38,000 status miles.

TuxTraveller and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  18. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OOOOOOHHHHHHH, I have not seen that in the fine print, and this is my first yr as BD DC Gold. apologies for my ignorance.....

I love you guys.............

19. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    The longer you stick around (and DC sticks around), the more you'll see why people are rather fond of it.

No need to get carried away. Liking (ahem) helpful posts is good enough. ;) ;) ;)

HPN-HRL likes this.
  20. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed very well said...

I'm sure there are plenty of other good surprises to come then. Another thing that comes particularly handy is the conversion of status miles into destination miles after 55k status miles! That's a huge incentive to keep earning on DC, it outweighs the other incentives programs like UA MP have with upgrade vouchers etc.

21. kstewart10
    Original Member

kstewart10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Question about BD lounge at Heathrow - I am inbound from MAN-LHR on BD *G and outbound on BA OneWorld Ruby. I know I have lounge access for myself and one guest, but where I am unclear is how close that access has to be to a particular flight. We land at 7:30AM and we are outbound from LHR at 5:20PM. We are going to hit London for a couple of hours but would like to catch a little grub and booze before our evening outbound on a OW flight, if we land early morning, can we still use that BD ticket to get into the lounge at 4:30pm?

22. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw that question on FT as well, so hopefully it has already been answered.

Your BD lounge access applies prior to your departure from Manchester, not at LHR. You can't use the BD lounge as an arrivals lounge. As you're departing again later on BA, you won't be leaving from Terminal 1 (where BD arrive) so you wont be able to get near the BD lounge which is airside in Terminal 1.

Unfortunately, OW Ruby by itself wont get you into the BA lounges at T3 or T5 either. You could buy Qantas Club membership if you want that on a regular basis, or just buy J tickets.

23. kstewart10
    Original Member

kstewart10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not the answer I was hoping for, but an accurate one and I appreciate your help.

24. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was just browsing through BD's mile earning chart and noticed that US now gets no better than 1.5x miles for F or J Z etc. Did that change with the recent updates? I remember my MR last yr (thksgiving) in Z was 2x miles.

25. fuseli

fuseli Active Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, and A/F were x3; very handy on US domestic (we flew MAN-PHL-LAS, SAN-PHL-MAN).
    I would not be inclined to pay much of a premium for US F.