BMI award ticket from US - Argentina

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by Sky King, Jan 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sky King
    Original Member

Sky King Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone. Wanted to get some feedback on redemptions using BMI. I have 10,000 in my family account and signed up 7 others in my family with their 1000 sign up bonus going on right now. With a few trips we will have 25,000 in the family account. I see the redemption from the US - Argentina is only 40,000 miles or 20,000 + 140 GBP. If I redeem for the cash and points and pay the 140 GBP is that all i'll have to pay? Are there fuel surcharges? And I assume I can check availability through *A as I do using Continental/UA or ANA, etc. Thanks for anyones help?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, there will probably be taxes and fees. Perhaps others here have enough experience with this route/using BMI miles and can provide an informed estimate.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that Argentina can require an expensive entry fee in the form of a visa on arrival, IIRC about US$140 for USA citizens arriving at EZE.

4. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it was $140 for USC when I arrived at EZE a few weeks ago. The nice Argentinian immigration official insisted I shouldn't pay it and instead told me to use my UK passport. This resulted in no charge, no problems, everyone was friendly and helpful.

Despite the Malvinas hooh-hah at the political levels, at street level there's none of that nonsense. EZE is great.

Just be cautious if you are emboldened to use the Numero Ocho bus from the Plaza de Mayo to EZE. The bus does go to the airport ultimately, but "Ezeiza" means "Ezeiza." It took me 2.5 hours and caused me a little stress as my departure window closed.

5. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    They also charge you at AEP if you fly in from GRU or MVD, although there is some 48 hour rule I believe where you do not have to pay if departing within 48 hours.