Bluebird Nightmare - Looking for Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by tzoom84, Oct 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone.

I recently ran into a nightmare of a situation with Bluebird. I sent a check to my mortgage via Bluebird's BillPay service. Bluebird states the check cleared, but my mortgage claims they never received it.

So somewhere in transit it was intercepted, fraudulently endorsed, and cashed.

Normally this is easy to deal with using a brick-and-mortar bank. But Bluebird has been difficult. To get a criminal investigation started and to challenge my mortgage company's claim of not receiving, they need the endorsed check to show that someone in fact intercepted and cashed it. Bluebird's customer service has been absolutely TERRIBLE. It appears all bill pay checks are sent via Wells Fargo, Bluebird's partner. But I cannot talk to Wells Fargo directly. And Bluebird's fraud department is only for fraudulent transactions. Not fraudulently endorsed checks.

So I'm at a complete loss of a mortgage payment and ideas now. I can get an attorney but I imagine that would outweigh the cost of the mortgage payment in itself.

Seeing as there's some Bluebird experts on these boards I figured I'd ask here as well.

Any ideas? Recommendations or back channels / alternate phone numbers I can try?

MX and Gargoyle like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Threaten to or actually file a complaint with the CFPB?

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/

3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear about that. It is a nightmare indeed when monies disappear in this strangely unaccountable way.

I've paid mortgage using BB too. Did you specify the Acc # in the Note field as well as in the "Payee" info box?

Try pursuing this via the State Attorney General's office in state of Bluebird incorporation. I can't even find this from their website but I imagine you have the motivation to seek it out.

Also, you could always contact NSA anonymously and propose this chain of correspondence be investigated for potential terrorist cell funding...for sure they'll find out what happened, pronto, and deal with it, but it might be hard for you to avoid some problematic collateral.....

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Complaints about BB customer service are fairly common, unfortunately.

Why don't you send a certified letter to Ken Chenault's office? State your situation in a concise, business-like manner - no dramas or namecalling. You will probably get a quick, senior level attention to your matter. All you really need is a copy of the cancelled check. Make that request clear in your letter.

It will either be endorsed by the bank servicing the mortgage, or endorsed by someone else. Either you have a servicer error, or a theft. Pretty easy to find out.

Good luck. Please follow up here with how this plays out. We'd like to know.

Muerl likes this.
  5. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey everyone.
    Thanks so much for the advice. I was able to at least get the address to their legal department in Salt Lake City. I'll start with a courteous professional request via certified mail for the signed check so that I can provide it as proof for the mortgage company.

If they fail to comply I'll follow with a complaint with CFPB.

Redtailshark : I double checked and both account number was on the memo and mortgage company as payee. I paid before with no problems. Its just this occurrence. The fact that the mortgage company was listed as payee AND it was cashed usually indicates a bank error in not verifying identity. I hope it's that simple.

It may be several weeks. But I'll report back!

MX and mht_flyer like this.
  6. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a somewhat similar experience with Bluebird recently, although not quite as bad as yours. I used the billpay feature to pay a student loan, however I must have fat fingered the account #. The funds were withdrawn from my BB account and I didn't know anything was wrong until I noticed my student loan account was delinquent. I immediately contacted BB and explained the situation to at least 3 separate departments and was told that an inquiry had been set up.

My question to them was this, once they payment was rejected by the payee (obviously since they have no account to apply it to) why didn't BB notify me or at the very least put the money back into my BB account? Rather, they just kept the money and didn't say a word. VERY SHADY! In the end, within 24hours of my call the money was sent to the student loan provider without any acknowledgment as to what took place. VERY, VERY SHADY PRACTICES BY BLUEBIRD!!

MX likes this.
  7. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess I am quite surprised about the lack of customer service from BB considering they are an American Express entity.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    marcwint55 likes this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't yet had a problem with any payments through them, however the customer service is atrocious. Whenever I call them, I seem to get someone in another country who has no knowledge of anything and is often quite rude.

MX likes this.
  9. GiddyforPoints

GiddyforPoints Silver Member

Status Points: