Bluebird Locked My Account

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by MX, Dec 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I generally try to play nice with my Bluebird and keep a steady balance in it, about $3K. Well, that could be a mistake, or the bankers may mistake your kindness for weakness. Yesterday upon trying to log into my account, I got this notice instead:
    BB-locked.jpg
    They also sent me an email stating that they detected "unusual activity" in my account and decided to separate me from my money for "my protection".
    Naturally I did call Customer Sevice, was on hold and bounced between India and Bangladesh for an hour. Eventually a friendly voice on the other end announced that my account was taken over by a "special unit", and they would get in touch with me directly. Nothing happened so far.
    I repeated the process today as well, and got the same outcome.

I should probably give it another day or two before taking any other steps. I'd appreciate any ideas what should be appropriate next steps under the circumstances.

bluefire likes this.
  2. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is hard to tell there parameters for locking account ( i load 5K a month) but that is why i never keep anything substantial i pay all my bilIs pretty much ASAP and Never have nothing over $300 but I do use it a lot for minor expenses under $10 bucks (as CC swipes).:eek::eek:

MX likes this.
  3. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a troubling development.

Please keep us informed and good luck.

MX likes this.
  4. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very troubling development, and I'm sorry you're going through this. I wonder if contacting your state's Attorney General might be a reasonable next step?

Good luck getting your $3000 back!

MX likes this.
  5. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check your glowplugs....they might be worn out :p

MX likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be curious to know what your definition of "play nice" is... we obviously all play the game, and some are more aggressive than others. In spite of all the money I move through these things, I never ever ever leave that much sitting there, unless I have an active plan to use billpay for a particular CC bill or a mortgage check.

Maybe I'm alone in the way I use this particular type of manufactured spending, but I don't let money sit outside my brick-and-mortar bank for more than a day or two if I have a choice. :)

LETTERBOY and MX like this.
  7. moongoddess

Status Points:
    I think by "play nice" the OP meant that he deliberately treated Bluebird the way he treats his ordinary bank accounts, instead of simply using it as a tool to move funds around. And now his niceness has gotten him burned, as Bluebird has unlawfully appropriated his funds in a way no actual brick-and-mortar bank would ever be allowed to do.

Besides the general hassle factor, this is a big reason why I've never gotten into manufactured spend. I don't need more ways to lose money!

othermike27, riverchica and MX like this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that's up to debate... that's why I asked because I personally also want to know where the line is, and we're all sort of walking on egg shells and hoping that we didn't do "too much" -- since that doesn't seem to be clearly defined. :)

There was a thread recently about the guy who had his Chase accounts nuked over manufactured spend, and after the details came out everyone was pretty much in agreement that it was hardcore manufactured spend, so it was only a matter of time before someone took notice. I think the monthly cash deposits were around $40k for a period of 6 months, plus $2,500 in vanilla a day for almost a month straight.

Bluebird has some clearly defined limits on transaction amounts and volumes, so if they freeze your account while you're still within that range, it's a serious cause for concern. Either way, if he was doing $5k a month and got frozen, everyone here would probably start emptying their accounts today :)

TUMD and MX like this.
  9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    We really have no idea what the OP meant. I rather suspect that some unusual activity was taking place on the account or, at the very least, Bluebird believed some unusual activity was taking place on the account. Perhaps the OP will return if they're able to get an actual statement from Bluebird about why the account was locked and let us know (although, even then, I would use caution in interpreting anonymous reports on the internet).

10. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    An AmEx Bluebird rep from that special unit finally called me with the explanation. The unusual activity in question turned out to be a store return (i.e. deposit) 2 weeks ago that didn't have a purchase for the matching amount. I confirmed the transaction as valid, and he unlocked the account. The rep did not claim that the deposit was not allowed, but still warned that another such transaction would bring a permanent closure of my account.

On balance this explanation was not very reassuring. I guess I won't be leaving large balances sitting in my account from now on.

Muerl and viguera like this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow... that's very strange. I actually use my card occasionally for "real" purchases, and even had a return or two -- most recently a Fandango refund from an IMAX to a regular film when I arrived late.

MX likes this.
  12. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    The lack of clear rules is indeed unsettling, and gives this developing business segment a roguish character. When American Express stopped using secure messaging, someone suggested that the intent was to erase the "paper trail". I certainly agree with that now.

13. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks for the clarification! :)

14. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haha, you recognized the symbol! :)

15. moongoddess

Status Points:
    No, not reassuring at all. And a warning to all of us that REAL money should be kept in a REAL bank which operates under strict regulations, not in "iffy" accounts like Bluebird or PayPal. Having a line of credit unexpectedly closed is one thing; having actual cash seized (even if only for a matter of days) is quite another thing altogether.

PhoenixDown and MX like this.
  16. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just curious, was this special unit Native English speakers? I delt with them last april when I tried to pay my taxes with a BB Check and it took them 10 days to clear the amount, at which point I had already mailed a different check to the IRS.

17. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My B&M bank seized 2000 of mine once. They had some kind of ACH hold placed on my account for a bonus from work because according to them, they had been told I was dead or something similar. The advantage was that it was my 'local' bank, so I had a desk to go pound on, rather than my 'Internet Banks'

MX and viguera like this.
  18. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you in a position to say what the actual transaction was? Was this the first time the card had been used for this type of transaction?

19. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "special unit" was most likely somewhere in the US, judging from the sound quality and speech patterns. Not sure if it was "native english", but there was no clear dialect.

20. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure if it makes a difference. It was a cancelled appliance delivery from Home Depot. The original p.o. was paid online with a gift card and a virtual number from Citi. The credit was processed in person and split into store credit and Bluebird. I think it was the first time I used this card in Home Depot.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why, it seems to quite fit the "roguish" character of the manufactured spend community. :)

othermike27, LETTERBOY and MX like this.
  22. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, we should stick to its intended purpose. :D
    What was I thinking parking a balance there.

23. bluefire

bluefire Active Member

Status Points:
    Wow, glad this got resolved. Agree with others in that it still isn't reassuring. I have returned things to a different credit card than used to purchase many times -- sometimes because I just forgot which card was originally used or I didn't have it on me, and a couple times specifically because I wanted the credit on the other card.
    I have a bluebird account that I opened when I started reading Milepoint :) but I haven't actually used it yet. Will probably make my first attempt in January. I will definitely be heeding advice not to park a significant balance in there, though.

MX likes this.
  24. coolguy0007

coolguy0007 Active Member

Status Points:
    Today bluebird locked my account an dtold me that I cannot get back my 2500$. What should I do? Please help!!

25. moongoddess

Status Points:
    I'd start by contacting your state Attorney General's office.

anileze likes this.