Bluebird changes....more down the road?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by TravelBear, May 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Account Ending in -XXXX

Important Change to Your Bluebird Account

Hello Sexy Travelbear,

We are writing to inform you that we are making a change to your Bluebird Account for added security.

The Bluebird Member Agreement has been modified to reflect an update to the amount of funds that can be added to your Bluebird Account from a linked checking or savings account. Effective immediately, the limit for this type of transaction has been reduced from $10,000.00 to $2,000.00 total per month.

You can review this update in the Bluebird Member Agreement byclicking here.

Thank you for your membership,
    Bluebird Team
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

**Ever so slightly edited for accuracy

SuperKirby, Aktchi, Muerl and 2 others like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that's a big change. But I never understood why people with bank accounts use this product, since it seems to be aimed squarely at the unbanked.

Of course, that doesn't apply to people "like us" that use this type of card for other purposes :)

Overall it seems like a move to position this even closer to Serve (or worse), instead of moving Serve up (or combining both products, which are very very close currently), and that doesn't bode well for Bluebird in the long run.

The current Serve limits are $1k a day / $2,500 a month for linked bank accounts, with a limit of 30 transactions a month and a ceiling of $2,500 on the account altogether. I wouldn't be surprised if they lowered the Bluebird ceiling as well or dropped the credit card load limit as well (Serve is currently $100 a day I believe).

SuperKirby and GoodBoy like this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    All my online banks decreased the amount I can transfer to other banks via online ACH transfer to the $3k range in a single transaction and about $6k per month in all transactions. This change may be more related to post 911 laws/reporting and the like rather than Amex trying to stick it to someone. (these are banks for which I've had 12+ year relationships)

It’s sort of funny in that area, my banks only allow a few thousand in transfers, but you can jump over to your brokerage and make a ACH “transfer” of much larger amounts and start trading stocks immediately - long before the transfer closes. I’ve guessed but not tested that if I route transfers via an online brokerage I could move more money between banks than if I did it directly via the ACH transfers…

SuperKirby, Aktchi, LeeInDC and 3 others like this.
  4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am "banked" and use it for foreign spend --- no foreign transactions fees and for the safety of not needing to use my bank ATM card abroad --- I keep anywhere between 200-500 in this account for trips. Pretty much only use it for travel.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Good point... I have one and other than the regular "manufactured spend" I created a sub-account for my parents when they travel as well, although they don't use it nearly as much as I would.

It's a good idea I suppose, other than the spending / load limits. For "every day" purchases at places where you might have trust issues it's actually a very good alternative. You can load it on the fly from your smartphone if you need more funds and if it becomes compromised at least you won't have to worry about someone emptying out your bank account and having to fight with your bank.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    All good advice. Thanks for that.

I have to admit I expected "bad" news when I got the email. So it was a relief to read the actual change. I don't currently have a bank account linked to BB.

7. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think linkage with a brokerage account involves real owner verification. Sometimes transfers from a brokerage account to a bank count as "direct deposits" (wish I had more data points on this).

SuperKirby and GoodBoy like this.
  8. +1

SuperKirby and mht_flyer like this.
  9. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I second that!! When isaw title on e-mail i was expecting beans elimination:/ thankfully NOT

10. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd agree with you on the cause of this and wonder if this makes any kind of laundering activity very cumbersome.

However I've not had any reductions in ACH transfers in other accounts, just this new BB email.

GoodBoy and SuperKirby like this.
  11. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    i hadn't thought of that use. thanks for the info.

GoodBoy, SuperKirby and viguera like this.
  12. gallivant

gallivant Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used a BOA alaska debit card to fund my Bluebird in addition to GC.s Bluebird pulled the plug on the bank debit card. Seems when i just get comfortable with a routine a change comes along. Hope that $100 per transaction doesn't apply to GCs. No CVS in the northwest dang it.

TravelBear, GoodBoy and SuperKirby like this.
  13. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing the info...

14. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is this is related to security, pulling 10k out of a compromised bank account into a criminal controlled BlueBird account.

At least thats what my paranoid brain though reading this last night.

Also, I have more or less been using BB as my primary checking account. Any situation that requires a check gets one for BB (Mortgage, Paying Back Friends before GW, Credit Card Payments for the cards I am NOT buying VRs with, Student Loan Payments)

At this point the only thing I use my "Normal" Checking account for is paying off VRs and Cashing Rent Checks.

15. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that's actually a pretty good way to accrue miles now that I think about it. There are services out there like chargesmart that allow you to pay your mortgage or car note with a credit card, but the fees are pretty high. With Bluebird you can load it up and write checks all day to all these payees, but unfortunately the lower limits don't make it very practical nowadays -- unless your mortgage, car note(s) and other items amount to less than the overall load limit.

16. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The advantage I have is one BB for me and one for Misses Muerl. If my monthly capital needs excede $10k something is wrong.

17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually with the new $2k limit I would imagine you can run into the ceiling really fast if you want to say pay a mortgage and a few other bills. My mortgage alone is over $2k, so using something like Bluebird checks with the new limits no longer works for me unless I can buy vanilla reloads with credit to manufacture that spend.

Otherwise if I'm going to buy reloads with cash or do direct deposit or checks with the mobile app to fund the account, I might as well use my regular bank account :)

18. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:

The 2k limit is for loads from Bank Accounts Right? If I am doing loads via Direct Deposit / VR / Deposit Check / Etc it will work out just fine

and then https://www.bluebird.com/legal#b-schedule-of-bluebird-limits

19. gallivant

gallivant Silver Member

Status Points:

20. gallivant

gallivant Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess were all a bunch of traveling criminals.

This morning I read it is just the online debit card/banking acct. online link that has the lower deposit on BB. I live rurally so its a long drive to anywhere including Walmart. Just a fact of life of being out of the fast lane.

Curious as to your reasoning for using "Normal" checking acct. instead of BB for paying CC that have bought VR's.

Oh looky there I just got a silver membership.

21. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct... the new limits (for now) are for linked bank accounts.

I guess the difference is that you're using it the product the way they intended (mostly) and I (along with a bunch of other mile junkies) are just using it to try to manufacture spend. :)

SuperKirby likes this.
  22. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you were using it as intended wouldn't you do direct deposit?

23. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suppose... like I said, I don't use it as a regular account myself.

My main banking is done with BofA, and I opened a SunTrust account online (for the bonus miles and to get a Delta debit card). Then I have direct deposit going into the SunTrust account, and I use the debit card to reload the Amex card, which I use for misc bill pay.

I also use Square (although the fees suck) to swipe money that gets deposited into the SunTrust account, which then goes into the Amex -- which I can then withdraw or write a check out of.

Very little of this is actual spend.. it's just manufactured spend to earn miles on the credit cards and Delta miles as the last dip.

That is not how they intend for you to use the card, and that's why I think limits (daily load or monthly) suck. :)

24. gallivant

gallivant Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cash (includes Swipe Reload and InComm Vanilla Reload Packs)
    $1,000 per day $5,000 per month

Its my most recent understanding that using a bank debit card at walmart will be a swipe reload therefore still the $5000 monthly limit. I'll find out for sure next trip to wally world.

25. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably the main reason for this reduction.
    Funny how that is what a lot of us are doing these days...hope this doesn't end.
    Although there is no data point out there (yet) that this is troublesome, it can look funny if a bankdecides to look at your statements. They see multiple purchases in increments of $500 at CVS (or wherever) and then see that Bluebird is used to pay off that CC; even the new 19 year old intern at Chase would know exactly what you're doing. But then again the banks won't look at your statements if you aren't flagged, and you typically won't get flagged unless there is unusual spending/activity. This is theoretical though. Some people continue to pay off $5000/month to the same CC they used to fund BB. I guess I try to make my purchases & payments look "realistic" & regular as possible and avoid this.

GoodBoy likes this.