Bluebird BS

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Steven Schwartz, Dec 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Opened a Bluebird account for reasons everyone here knows. Got the card and went to register and start to load it. Ran into problems right away and finally got a message that the account was frozen and to call the 800 number

Go try it - 30+ minutes holds only to be told I need to speak to a separate division and I've had to give up twice after another 30 minutes. Called Centurion Customer Service - they were very nice but said it is a different part of the company and they can't help.

Amazing - never had any product from AMEX with such poor customer service.

Just venting!

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Prolly Walmart employees ;)

Kalboz and hulagrrl210 like this.
  3. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had a similar experience...

I have sent multiple checks using this since the middle of November. However, one of the checks for $1000 did not ever show up to my mother in law. My wife sent her mother a check as well from her BB account and it worked fine. I called BB (on hold for a ridiculous amount of time). I could barely understand the guy. I had to explain the situation 3 times to him. He put me on hold again and after another 10 minutes came back and said his tech department guys could not locate the problem. He said he would put the issue in the system to be dealt with in 7 business days and gave me a ticket number. He said they would be checking to make sure my other checks were sent (which they were and I told him that). This guy was clueless.

A week later I received a call from BB (this time I could actually understand the lady) and although she was very nice, she basically was no help whatsoever and had to connect me back to some other lady (who I couldn't understand) who submitted my situation to, from what I understand, a refunds department. I am apparently going to be receiving a phone call or email in 7 business days as to whether they will re-send the check or just refund the money in my account. I don't understand why they couldn't do that from the start.

On another note, I also called back in early December because after trying to add the bill payee for my water bill (my city water department) it said there was an error every time I tried. When I called (again another person I could barely understand) the employee had me try a bunch of different things. None of them worked. He said I would be contacted within 5 business days. I have still yet to hear from them...

I like BB for obvious reasons but I do not think they have everything figured out. I blame Wal-Mart:). Amex on its own is a quality company. But throwing in the classiest of all high end companies, Wal-Mart, has a clear effect. I hope they figure this out.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like a very productive way to earn miles.

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I missed the memo, so am not part of the everyone group you mention. Is there a thread to get me up to speed?

Slow_Mustang likes this.
  6. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz and Sweet Willie like this.
  7. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Merice - you settled it. Out of the wallet and not into the drawer with the other cards. This one is straight to the trash. Shame on AMEX for lending their name to a card they can't service.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's where mine will likely end up, with a $5 write-off (the initial fee for getting it from MalWart). I thought I'd see what this hoopla is all about, but there are no Vanilla Reload cards to be found anywhere at the CVS that are convenient for me, so I never actually loaded anything other than the initial $5 on it.

merice107 likes this.
  9. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely a shame you're having problems with customer service. I hope it's just teething problems with a new product, but I appreciate the information tat y'all had major issues.

I think some are going waaaayy further than I ever will. I have found a CVS with VR cards that also happens to be convenient to my commute. I will probably not buy more than 1-2 per credit card per month, and will be careful which cards I use for even that. Most of my loading will likely come from Walmart and a miles-earning debit card. I will treat it like a nice double-dip of being able to pay some bills that I can't with a CC and also paying off some CCs that I put lower spend on. I am not going to try to create a near-perpetual points machine like many seem to be doing. I don't think it's worth the risk--or the effort. 2-3k extra points per month on top of normal credit card spend is PLENTY for me to be happy with this part of the game.

merice107 likes this.
  10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had no problem setting up the card, but I haven't used it yet. I am going to try loading from a miles earning debit card and paying a mortgage payment with it. After reading the comments, I am a bit concerned and will probably pay a month early just in case there is a problem.

11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie and TAHKUCT like this.
  12. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My. my, my - how in the world did you ever get to Gold!!!???

Wish I missed the memo too, Sweet Willie!

13. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what I did. I tried $2 for a couple of different credit card accounts first.

Kalboz likes this.
  14. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad I didn't give up my serve card after reading this.

Kalboz likes this.
  15. gleasonja

gleasonja Active Member

Status Points:
    100% success on loading $5k via debit per month and sending $1k checks out - fingers crossed!

Kalboz likes this.
  16. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    what do you do with the rest $4k?

Kalboz likes this.
  17. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got my card as soon as the product was announced, and I load $5k onto it each month. I go to 3 different CVS locations in my area and pay with a few different cards in order to spread out the spending. I pay various bills, non AmEx credit card bills, and the only incident I had was a returned check for $8 that I sent for my newspaper bill. I was credited the money back without even having to call and I just ended up paying for it with a credit card. I have paid as much as $2,500 on a credit card, and it posted within 2 days to the account.

I'd bet there are still bugs with it, and I've read about all the horror stories that people have with their customer service, so I can only imagine what I might have to go through if I ran into an issue, but so far, it has seemed like a worthwhile risk on my end at least.

MX and Kalboz like this.
  18. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have successfully loaded BB 3 times with VR and paid some bills too. I will definitely be keeping up with this, though not like others may.

kyunbit and Kalboz like this.
  19. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    In fact, I just paid for my wife's life insurance policy using BB. I just mailed a check to my financial planner under the name of the company our policy was through, but at the planner's address. It took a week to arrive, but I got miles for paying on a policy that I wouldn't have received (unless i went the money order route for less miles on a debit card) otherwise.

Kalboz likes this.
  20. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Blue Bird is/was to be even sweeter than the switching phone company scams of ten years ago. Looks like the bloggers are dealing with a major fail in this case.

Remember this, Bloggers make money off their referrals. While I'm sure they're concerned that some people aren't happy, it's buyer beware. There's lots of smoke going on with these cards. I think I'll pass.

21. pilotb757

pilotb757 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been using BB for 2 months now, no problems at all. I buy VR ,s using different cards, to the limit of $5000 per card, we have 3 in my family, paid bills, credit card bills -reasonably- i think to use different credit card from different banks is the best way to go, and not to over do it.

22. gleasonja

gleasonja Active Member

Status Points:
    I mentioned checkS (plural) - I have AMEX send checks to pay landscapers, lines of credit, etc - so far, working like a charm (fyi - typing this @ 33,000 ft on Lufthansa 431 ORD-FRA lol)

merice107 likes this.
  23. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    *Completely off subject but isn't that going to be on a 747-8 pretty soon? Like January of 13? I'm excited!

24. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just checked online and my first auto payment was paid within four days. I have another auto payment pending for the 26th, and will set up one more later today.

So far everything is working just as it should and I am quite pleased with the process.

I have been complaining for years about the proximity of a wal-mart that was erected not far from where we live. Now I am actually thankful that it is there.

MX likes this.
  25. AJTrenkle

AJTrenkle Active Member

Status Points:
    As I side note, and fwiw, the dangers with these prepaid cards are their lack of consumer protections. Not coincidentally, that is also one reason why they are increasingly popular products for the big banks to push. The fees and protections are not subject to regulations. Bluebird is/was an exciting opportunity but I don't think it's worth it. Only takes one incident with a big purchase or check issuance for the value proposition to change.

Sorry to push my own site but I did some research on this (if you're interested) here.

merice107 likes this.