Blogger vs Washington Post Travel Writer

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by perryplatypus, May 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree with her, partly. Most people are very lazy and they only want specific travel dates so they are stuck with what is available. If people planned just a little and actually took the time to scope out things they would find the $254 roundtrip ticket I recently got from CLT to SFO. So many people are amazed at how much I travel and the "deals" I find.

3. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    Yeah, even before I found Miles and Points I did my own due diligence to find the best deals. Even for the average traveler there are great tools to use to find great deals like kayak, hotels.com, expedia, trivago, and hipmunk just to name a few. But like you said some are lazy and don't want to be bothered with checking prices. Then again maybe the Washington Post readership have more money to burn then us poor folk!

4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree fully here. People always ask me how I can afford to travel to crazy places and always stay at 4 or 5 star hotels. What they don't realize is that those of us who actually know what we are doing understand that package deals are a rip off and are able to find pretty great stuff for significantly less than what is charged by these so calle consolidators.

tondoleo, Kalboz, Counsellor and 3 others like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't consider using a consolidator or a package tour of any sort as I want to choose my own arrangements.

tondoleo, Mapsmith, uggboy and 5 others like this.
  6. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read the piece and the comments. TheMrPickles has a good point. It's the same point that one particular blogger makes about others and their affiliate links. Does the partnership cloud whether the information is good and fair or is it motivated based on the income from that partnership? It's the same point Deals mommy was trying to make and that the WA Post author failed to recognize.

On the other hand, there are tons of people (we all know them) who are perfectly happy with one of these package deals and prefer them to doing everything themselves. They feel they are saving money because of the time saved in doing it themselves.

tondoleo, Mapsmith, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  7. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow. The most surprising aspect of all this is that Carol from WaPo actually responded to a blogger on this. The comments are awesome. Regardless, this just shows to me that going to Asia is a steal comparatively to going Hawaii.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

tondoleo, Mapsmith, uggboy and 5 others like this.
  8. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Especially if you live on the east coast, west coast tickets to Hawaii can usually be had for quite cheap.

9. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally speaking, most retail purchases can be made to look like a ripoff compared to getting stuff directly from manufacturers or providers. Yet we shop retail all the time, and fully aware that things cost much less up the chain of middlemen.

10. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The comments are EPIC!

11. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    Me too, unless the consolidator was Tommy777 and it was for a MegaDo :)

malikguy, tondoleo, Mapsmith and 6 others like this.
  12. worldtraveller2
    Original Member

worldtraveller2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    what it really shows, is that the PR market is changing for mainstream media, and that they can not longer keep up with social media. A large portion of the market is now going to the travel bloggers who teach people to be sensible and do a lot of the legwork themselves.

13. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    The uselessness of these non-deal deals is why so many people just auto-delete these emails, notifications, articles without even reading them anymore.

14. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stories like this are one of the reasons that I came to this site.

A little exploration can make a big difference in price.

I remember back about 10 years ago, I read on TOBB about a BA deal to London from PHX for about $500pp round trip. With a little patience and a slow internet connection, I found that AA had matched the price but now was available from TUS (my home airport) that means that I would accumulate miles! BA flights would not give miles.
    And the TUS-ORD-LHR flight left Tucson at 3PM so I could get a little work done before leaving, ORD-LHR got in at noon so that we could go to the Hotel direct from the airport.
    Hotel was Pricelined back when you could get decent hotels for really cheap on Priceline. Wound up at the Melia White House for 6 days at $100/day. anything else was in the range of $150-$200 per night.

So a week in London from Tucson was $805 for roundtrip for two and $600 for a hotel for 6 nights. That is cheap. Doubt if I could get the same deal now, but I would expect that I could get it for about $2K to $2500.

And I was able to upgrade the flight back to business for only 10K miles each. AND was able to complete the Gold Challenge at the same time.

All things that would not have happened if I had taken a package deal.

15. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oops. Sorry to hijack.

tondoleo, perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  16. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    NP, just don't do that to a plane ;)

17. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    But I did like the blogger took it to the "20year Travel Writer" and the others agreed.

hulagrrl210 and tondoleo like this.
  18. JoeCortez

JoeCortez Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow. Just...wow.

As a former journalist, I would NEVER consider responding to a piece in a public forum unless there was a glaring error - and even then, not without discussing it with my editors first. Everyone knows posting a response (in the same way that the journalist did) is asking to be trolled.

The blogger has solid points in the fact that she did not change the travel dates (WaPo wrote: "For the best prices, travel through June 6 or Aug. 14 through Dec. 18. Book by June 30."), and used well established tools for searching (maybe not the most popular - but well established none the less). And to the WaPo writer's benefit, their article should be used as a starting point for travel inspiration. What I found problematic about the WaPo article is that it wasn't written objectively. Instead, it said "this IS a good deal" and left it at that. As a journalist, your first obligation is to be objective about the piece. Educate readers why it is a good deal - instead of unilaterally saying it is without other research. Or even disclaim it: "This is one deal we found, but your pricing may vary. For other ways to look..."

In short: poor journalism on the WaPo's part, and great journalism for the blogger. Kind of LOL worthy to watch the two worlds combine.