Blog worthy?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Dad to GO, Nov 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey Everyone,

I'm just trying to get my blog off the ground and running and am coming up with ideas for future posts. Given the fact that my wife and I are about to have our first child I was thinking that a good post would be about how you can maximize your points earning abilities going through the process from selecting a doctor/midwife all the way through shopping for the nursery and any other costs associated with the birth. I'd love your thoughts and opinions on this!

Thanks!

hulagrrl210 and Koschmar like this.
  2. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do it!

Koschmar and Dad to GO like this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I personally wouldn't be very excited about yet another blog about points and miles. Perhaps a blog about child birth and parenting from a father's perspective might be a fresher idea.

rwoman, daemon14 and mo26 like this.
  4. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    I don't have a little one of my own [yet], but I think it's a great idea! Would be perfect for your blog.

5. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most doctors and Hospitals take credit cards now a days. I wish I could get my FSA Master debit card to pay me points or miles some how.?

6. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's one of the added bonus's I got. My FSA allows me to submit EVERYTHING to them for reimbursement. I'm glad that this has gotten some positive responses. I know that there are a million blogs out there so I want to try and stand out a little and have some content that isn't the same as everyone else.

**No this is not a hit at other blogs. I read a ton of them and have the utmost respect for them and the time and effort that they put in.

7. JoeCortez

JoeCortez Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps that's the angle that you take with your blog then? I think that anyone who reads the better of the travel blogs in the world understand the churning game, and to always check CC portals to get maximum points return, etc...but finding ways to play the miles/points game in the most unexpected ways (like the birth of a child, etc.). Another interesting topic would be "how young is TOO young to start the points game?"

hulagrrl210, Dad to GO and Koschmar like this.
  8. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, just write about it. If it's good and helpful, people will read it. "Quirky" posts are the ones that set you apart. I don't need to see another post about Bluebird.

npupik, boondr, Scottrick and 4 others like this.
  9. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    we just had our first less than 2 years ago, I really don't have any suggestions about doctor spend because for the entire pregnancy/birth we only paid 1 $150 co-pay for the hospital stay.

Maybe figuring out a way to maximize the registry would hit a niche for you. Do any shopping portals do registries? Earning miles/points off the purchases of friends and family seems like an idea we'll have to implement for our next one.

10. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know but my son was checking in with FS with Topguest at 1. ;)

Operative word being was, TG doesn't like giving my family points anymore.

JoeCortez likes this.
  11. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah we have a low co pay also but the midwife is having us pay her directly ahead of time and then submitting the bill to the insurance after the birth which is when we'll get reimbursed for all of it but our co pay... so we're really getting lucky with that. Tons of extra miles/points for free.

All of the ideas are great. I am really looking forward to writing something fun, interesting, and hopefully useful to those readers out there.

12. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    As the father of a 5 year old i tend to be interested in places to take the child and how we get there, your milage redemptions change when you have to look for 3 seats, and when the thought of spending a couple of days then heading back to the airport to go to the next stop are no longer very exciting.

13. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We're going to be looking at adoption in the next few years, and I think this idea for a blog post is unique and potentially very helpful! I strongly suggest you post it! :)

14. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just had my first kiddo earlier this year and you can definitely earn a lot of miles and points on your credit cards- they can cost a lot! I thought at first having a baby would slow me down but this has been my busiest traveling year yet! I'm also a blogger (links below ;) ) but tend to focus more on mileage runs, and my quest to be a million miler so I can share my lifetime gold status and hard earned miles with my new little family. I really like your idea, its unique, and I think a lot of other people out there would love to read about your journey! Best of luck and congratulations!

kofucious likes this.
  15. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:

Thanks for the positive vibes and support! We're at T-Minus 5 weeks so now the nerves are starting to creep in... You know what's funny hulagrrl my wife and I thought the same thing but now we just finished booking our first trip to Europe and are planning to take the little guy with us. Sure it will be a little more difficult but flying F should make things a little smoother. Not sure when I'll make my first Dad to GO post in regards to the points earning from having a baby but I'm sure it will start before we actually have him.

JoeCortez likes this.
  16. JoeCortez

JoeCortez Silver Member

Status Points:
    On a separate-but-related-but-separate note - I'm always open to entertaining guest bloggers at my blog (with link back to your blog, of course). Because who doesn't love to share the love?

Dad to GO likes this.
  17. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Active Member

Status Points:
    Is it a travel blog? I think there's several articles to be had about your experiences travelling with a little one (or travelling with a wife who is pregnant).

By the way, congratulations.

Dad to GO likes this.