Blog adverts disguised as postings

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by bonnerbl, Oct 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't know if this is the proper place for this. Is there any policy about bloggers simply entering a teaser subject line and the body containing nothing but a link to their blog where you can read the details.Seems they are simply using MP as a vehicle to drive traffic to themselves and not contributing to the conversations here. Am I off base on this?

icurhere2, Scottrick and jwsky like this.
  2. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Boarding Area (a site also run by Randy) blogs automatically post to Newsstand without any blogger intervention.

Tim likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And some of us who contribute there have suggested alternatives for getting more appropriate content into the right places; as of yet no progress there.

Still, there are some other folks who seem to almost exclusively post only when linking out to their external content rather than in an effort to generally build content. That is annoying but I've found just ignoring them to be a reasonable approach.

4. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Thanks Grace. Bonnerbl, there are some blogs that we have set up to auto-post in some sections, I'm guessing that those are the threads you are talking about? Thanks.

5. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. The posts I'm talking about are easy to identify - -0- replies.. The post has no usable content, usually not even a full sentence. A few words of teaser and then a link "more....." or some such thing that leads you off to another site. Posting -complete- info on MP would be ok. These "more...." posts take advantage of MP and do nothing to build the community. <rant mode off>. Next time I see another one I will add it here so you can see what I'm talking about.

6. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you mean like this or this?

Those like all (I think) the other BoardingArea blog posts are automatically, like mentioned above.

miles and smiles likes this.
  7. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    If its the boarding area blog posts I actually really like them, for two reasons:
    1. Its allows me to discover new blogs that I might otherwise have not found simply because the subject looked interesting.
    2. Rather that continually check the ones I do read for updates, I see them posted here when I browse the whats new thread. Its actually quite useful.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also find it annoying when someone just quotes a chunk of material from the internet, sometimes without even making it clear that they're quoting, and adds no content. A few times I've questioned whether the MP poster has a commercial connection to the content that was posted, including asking for clarification regarding the meaning of the word "we" in what they posted.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the risk of getting in trouble for "naming names" I'm much more concerned with behavior like this than the Boarding Area stuff. A member who participates solely to generate traffic to their own external site is of questionable value to the community IMO.

Pete and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  10. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guess different strokes for diff folks. I consider MP a community of people with common interests that engage in converstation/discussion. When all you do is post minimal information and a link to another site you are not encouraging MP converstation. I may be wrong but having once clicked thru to the other site you are unlikely to return to MP and post a comment. After all the content of what you are commenting on is somewhere else.

11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like having the Boarding Area blogs auto-posted. It's especially convenient when combined with the "What's New?" feature. However, I agree that there are other people who post the headline of an article from someplace on the internet and a link, but nothing else. I think those people should contribute a summary, an opinion, or some kind of comment (of their own creation) rather than just making this site some kind of RSS feed for travel news.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't like to click on links that I don't know, especially if I don't "know" and trust the person who posted the link. My impression is that some people post these links as an easy way to build up their post count but haven't even looked at the material they're linking; they just notice a headline somewhere that looks vaguely travel related and click to post a link.

A while ago there was some stuff "posted" like this that was so badly written as to be impossible to understand, perhaps due to an automated translation program. Other posts contain links to material that we easily recognize to be inaccurate or ill-conceived.

The clutter tends to obscure MP's wonderful and useful information. It could discourage new members or especially lurkers who are considering whether to join MP.

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a similar issue right now if you look at the newly created threads list on your home page. ALL of them were posted by the same username, with some text apparently quoted and links given to the original source article. All but one of these posts quote and link the same on-line publication. The list of new threads has looked like this for at least the last half hour. This surely doesn't encourage lurkers to join MP and it probably doesn't lead to interesting discussions among current members.

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    You write to every article you read a summary?:confused:

15. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what to discuss here with this post?:cool:

16. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds you have two opinions on the same theme?

17. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I share articles with friends, I usually explain why they should read it. I don't send an empty email with just a link.
    I think there is a difference in content. The posts on Boarding Area, while not all of equal quality, are generally written by the same people who use MilePoint. They are people like us, so a link to their site is not that different from them posting here directly. A link to a story on USAToday or some other news site will take you to content written by a reporter who has to write an article on travel each week but isn't necessarily a frequent flyer or even someone who enjoys flying.

Quasiconvexity likes this.