Blocking middle Seats?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Mike Reed, Apr 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    When did AA start blocking middle seats on 737's BEHIND the MCE rows? The MCE folks have middle seat passengers while I'm in 16, non MCE, and have a blocked middle for several rows behind me on both sides. Is it related to crew requirements for fewer passengers? See pics below.

A quick search via iPhone on MP revealed no other thread.

image-1780224537.jpg

image-1438942018.jpg

As a side point, I'm a little miffed that even with open F and MCE seats I'm in Y. I know I'm standby... and I'm getting home early. It's the principle of the thing. It's not worth complaining about, but its worth whining about on MilePoint. :)

Edit: my rowmate just got the battlefield upgrade, so perhaps I bitched too soon. F may in fact be full now with "regular" (non-standby) passengers. :)

garyst16 likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Been quite awhile now.

And yes, it's related to the passenger load and subsequent number of FAs required. With the MCE reconfiguration reducing the number of seats, the additional 4 seats lost from the blocked middles drops the load to 150. Thus 3 FAs. Having the four seats open and having 154 seats means 4 FAs.

737823 and OceanBreezes like this.
  3. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    MCE with a neighbor vs. Y with an empty seat is an interesting choice.

Wandering Aramean and skyvan like this.
  4. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd take the center empty every time. However, it's no guarantee to get the empty seat that I can tell. Anyone figure out yet if there is a way to verify this configuration? It's hit or miss for me so far.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    FA rules are based on the number of seats installed, not the number available for sale as I understand it. They cannot claim that NN seats are blocked from sale and not staff for them. The 50:1 rule still holds.

Also, if I'm doing the math correctly based on the data from SeatGuru (yes, I know that's a HUGE assumption), there are only 150 actual seats installed on the MCE config without any seats blocked. Am I missing something or is SeatGuru showing bad data?

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_Boeing_737-800_MCE_new.php

OceanBreezes likes this.
  6. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    The "extra" four middle seats are installed, but there is a hard cover on them so they cannot be used. No chance of them being occupied.

There is a [better] picture somewhere.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my first post in this thread. :)

There were more than four blocked. I'd guess at least 8... maybe more.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They're definitely blocked from being occupied, not simply blocked from sale by AA.

I've been lucky and have flown on quite a few of the 737s with MCE so have seen the blocked middles quite often. Below are some pictures I took on my first sighting. Have to disagree with you Mike Reed on the number of blocked seats though. It's definitely just 4. Only the B and E seats in aisles 16 & 17. This is reflected in Wandering Aramean's link to Seat Guru.

photo.JPG

photo1.JPG

Being short, I much prefer the blocked middle seat over the extra leg room in the exit row or MCE. Lateral space trumps for me.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice handful of Eurobiz-style seats there...which Seatguru somewhat pessimistically describes as "standard MCE seats".

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder why they don't charge extra for those seats. Or do they?

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The seats in row 16 are reserved exclusively for elites or full fare Y passengers. The four seats in row 17 are listed as "preferred" seats and available to anyone for a fee.

The hard part is that not all 737s currently have MCE, so despite picking or paying for the blocked middle seats in row 16/17, you might end up on a non-MCE 737 with standard economy seats without a blocked middle.

So despite my statement above about how I'd prefer the lateral space over exit row or MCE seats, I'm picking exit row/MCE seats on all my 737 itineraries until AA has full MCE 737s.

12. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sat in row 17 Sunday. Very nice. I also prefer width over legroom...I'm only 5"3. My husband is 6'2" so a more difficult choice for him. He did OK, but would have been more comfortable in a MCE. An extra inch would make all the difference for middle seats....hate the "arm rest" bumping that happens now and the awkward swishing to ensure everyone has room when I am in the middle.