Blocked Seats in 738 Rows 7 and 8?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Explore, Jan 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's a newbie question. I just crossed the threshold to Gold enroute to EXP. All of a sudden Preferred Plus seats have opened up. Woo-hoo! But I still don't see any seats in Rows 7 and 8 on the 737-800 for upcoming flights, which could just be that they're all taken, or it could be that they're blocked (Expert Flyer's terminology) until say check-in time.

What's the story?

Thanks....

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    These are held for assignment at the airport. Not available for selection.

3. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    So literally at the airport, not when online check-in opens? If that's the case, late-arriving elites seem to be at a disadvantage over Ma and Pa infrequent flyers that get to the airport 2 hours ahead.

Those rows, ahead of the wing, are the ones I want - otherwise I go back to row 23 or so to avoid view blockage.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's not that uncommon, most domestic airlines hold some seats for airport control.

With regards to elite status, it's not like AA will be handing out all the seats on a first come, first serve basis. Depending on how full the flight is, they will give seats assignments or wait a bit longer. When people check in they will be given a priority verification card that will get them through security and to the gate where they can wait for seat assignments. Obviously elites will receive theirs prior to non-elites being handed boarding cards.

Most elites are vying for upgrades or exit rows, and then the bulkhead. Keep your eyes peeled 100 hours prior to the flight taking off, as elites get upgraded seats start opening up.