Blocked Middle Seats

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by flyforawg, Jan 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did AA ever do this? Feeling nostalgic for less crowded flights. Before AA was a UA ff years ago. Tried to give them back my business and they couldn't earn it, but that's a story for another day.

They used to block centers for me so they would only be filled up if they ran out of other seats. Does/did AA do something similar? Last time I recall this happening for me was 2004. Just interested in hearing others' experiences.

uggboy likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't count on it. There used to be a blocked middle seat on the 737s in rows 16 and 17 but that no longer is the case. If the seat map shows the seat next to you as empty, maybe ask the gate agent if they could leave it empty if it's not a full flight. I had luck in asking an agent for a blocked middle and they didn't assign the seat to anyone, but someone from the back decided to take the seat after the door shut.

uggboy and flyforawg like this.
  3. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA used to block the seat next to you if you were a Platinum or higher. It would only be assigned if the gate agent needed the seat. That program ended circa 2005.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had a seat blocked for me as just a Gold as recently as October 2014 but the plane was nearly empty so it was mostly a symbolic gesture. They can still do it but it is not a formal program.

The part where planes are ~85% full means it is unlikely there would be one to block for you anyways.

flyforawg likes this.
  5. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    The difference here is the system automatically blocked the seat back in the day. Now you have to ask and it will only be granted if the aircraft is lightly booked.

flyforawg and Wandering Aramean like this.
  6. ghstudio

ghstudio Member

Status Points:
    Actually, they blocked the middle seat if you were gold or above.... a nice perk, long forgotten.