Blind Bordeaux tasting in France by real experts

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by jbcarioca, Aug 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    gobluetwo likes this.
  2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't view the vid from work, but did you happen to experience Bottle Shock? ;)

RSSrsvp and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did. Actually my spouse found this one. She has paid a fair amount of attention since the original Chateau Montelena victory. We have a habit of avoiding overpriced wine so spend a fair amount of time searching for bargains.
    We have a Brazilian wine we like very much. From time to time we have had blind tastings, in which it typically wins or places high, most recently vs Moutin, Lynch-Bages, and Margaux. When not blind-tasted, most recently in the last wine DO in NYC it is dismissed as a "passable $5 bottle". Prejudice is a marvelous thing for people who want bargains!

LizzyDragon84 and gobluetwo like this.
  4. erthcrclr

erthcrclr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please share which Brazilian wine this is!

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is it: Reliquaie Vini Bettú Nebbiolo 2002

The Bettú family have produced wines in small quantities near Garibaldi, Rio Grande do Sul in the south of Brazil since the late 1800's and before that near Genoa for centuries. Their wines are very hard to find because they are garagistes, but Le Pre Catalan (one of the two top french restaurants in Rio) has several Bettú wines. The prejudice against Brazilian wines is so strong that almost everyone who likes these was introduced through blind tastings.

I do not discuss them as much as I once did because people think I must be insane to suggest them.

6. erthcrclr

erthcrclr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you're insane. How boring life would be if we all had the same tastes. I'll keep an eye out for it. Muito obrigada!

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is just that sometimes they don't travel well and the tastings can make you blind :D:D (Ok, a bit dramatic and partially unjustified!) The only time I had them, an unreliable importer brought them to the US (the importer's name wasn't even on the bottle, so it could have been black market swill, for all I know :p )

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could not have had Bettu exported because it has never been sold outside private sales by the family. Most Brazilian wines are suitable for cooking and not much else.

9. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Somehow I had it in the US.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I took six bottles to the US, but only two were used publicly, and those were are the Wine DO in NYC this year. Somebody could have bought bottles and brought them privately, but there are typically fewer than 1,000 bottles in any bottling so most importers would not even consider them. Even in brazil they are not handled by the usually distributors. there is one person in SP and another in RJ (person as in one individual human being). Otherwise the only access is directly from the family.

As a rule these wines do require storage and they do like to age. they do not travel well, so settling for a long time (a year or so) seems to be needed. After I get a delivery from them I usually wait at least a year before opening any.
    The tastings can definitely make you blind, if you swallow. I do agree with that...