Blankets in Y on red-eyes.....bye bye???

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by radonc1951, Nov 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have now done several red-eyes on UA in the back of the bus.What disturbs me is that these flights were specifically targeted for blankets since most passengers slept for the duration of the flight.
    I am now 0/3 on my last 3 coach red-eyes for blankets. So the question is, am I just unlucky (I presumed that for the first several misses) or have we had another "readjustment" of service that was slipped in without any fanfare?

For me, (someone who gets cold on planes), this is low. I suspect that a 1 cent move down in the oil prices produces 10x more savings than an entire year of eliminating blankets in coach for red-eyes.

So...what's your next move UA? Mops and brooms on-board so passengers can clean the interior prior to being allowed to deplane? Think of the possible savings!!!

(This rant brought to you by "one thawing in the BOS UC" Radonc1951 :eek::D)

Newscience likes this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    All part of a general cut back I suspect, I have seen FAs ask FC if they needed their blankets when someone needed an extra (to pad a cast).

Newscience likes this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    An easy solution if you get cold...bring a coat or sweater.

How much higher of a fare would you pay if a thin blanket was included?

The reality is the vast majority of passengers select their flight by fare, not amenities. While passengers often lament the lack of amenities in-flight, it seems not to override their focus on price when they make the next purchase. Customers have trained airlines how to behave.

Newscience likes this.
  4. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes
    yes, you are quite correct. I have been looking at this from my selfish point of view. I travel with three checked anchors (two work related, one personal support) and if my carry on got any larger ( two cameras, ipad, PC, and all the supporting hardware and a change of clothes - into or out of working attire depending on direction) it wouldn't fit on the RJ - booked at the last minute on the way to the airport. And then there is the north /south issue. Do you dress for were you are departing from, were you are going, or for the variable conditions on de plane?

NYBanker and Newscience like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/g/gordonbeth543779.html

6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! And the bottom line is that you can buy a thin, warm blanket to be used for your personal use, that you will likely be much more comfortable with, than an airline's blankie!! ;)

IDGflygirl likes this.
  8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's likely just another thing that can be cut to increase corporate profits. The small airline pillows which used to be standard in coach seating have gone the way of the dinosaurs. Likely one excuse to cut blankets is to not transmit infectious diseases in the era of an Ebola epidemic. But, since the blankets are dry cleaned and plastic-bag packed when they are handed out to business class passengers (I hope!), this isn't a legitimate concern.

And who knows where the next cut will be made? Will coach seats to be moved into the business class section, with coach seats to be replaced by a bench that everyone can pig-pile on! :eek:

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience and Dublin_rfk like this.
  10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have a cold spot in your journey (either to or from), presumably you've got a sweater or something else warm with you. The dilemma is if you are chilly and flying from warm spot to warm spot.

If you're like @tondoleo, on those warm-to-warm flights, you're probably just wearing bikini briefs.

William JLP likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Haven't eaten Dominos, Little Caesar and the likes in a couple of decades. Life is too short to eat cardboard (and if you do, it's probably shorter as a result).

What do UA's competitors do? (I don't consider Spirit a competitor... do they? :eek:) Do Delta and AA still offer blankets? And when will UA remove blankets on international flights? (I assume here that they still have them... guess I will find out in a couple of weeks; perhaps I should go blanket shopping)

Newscience and NYBanker like this.
  12. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Blankets 3 (in BF) weeks ago, but very much down graded.

Newscience likes this.
  13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I, too, am not a fan of these products...but they continue to find demand from price-sensitive pax. Not unlike Spirit.
    I am fortunate enough to sit in the forward cabin more often than not. Except on certain premium transcon routes, even in front the blankets are modest, at best.

That said, I just flew DL SEA-JFK yesterday and on that 757-operated route (like most of their other NY-west coast routes) they ofter the co-branded Westin blanket and pillow. If anything, the pillow might be too big! :)

[​IMG]
    (different plane...same pillow/blanket set)

14. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks fluffier than at home.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, but if my favorite pizza place started to try to compete with Dominos etc. by serving cardboard-by-the-slice, I would not think they would ultimately be in business much longer. I totally don't expect UA to start offering 5-star-carrier service, but if they make it their product too much like Spirit's, they'll end up getting the same wallet share from me as Spirit does (never flown them).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    Newscience and Dublin_rfk like this.
  16. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    New name for UA,,,, Spirit by United.

17. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be a fair argument, if the products were adequately described at the time of purchase. Instead air travel is marketed as a standardized product, with the applicable "standard" details being left to the buyer's imagination. And if that imaginary standard is not met (even while still on the ground), then too bad -- all sales are final. That's not a fair market, and it's not working well for either travelers or airlines.

Newscience, NYBanker and Dublin_rfk like this.
  18. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe TED has just come back to life :eek::oops:

Dublin_rfk, Newscience and NYBanker like this.
  19. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know that I don't get blankets on standard coach day-time flights on UA. (This BTW is not the case for AA or US). But, I have come to expect that a blanket was provided on East-bound red eyes where most people sleep on the flight. I already pack a pillow since they went the way of the wind several years ago. I guess I am now going to have to start carrying a blanket as well.

It is just too depressing what UA is morphing into. :oops:

HaveMilesWillTravel and MX like this.
  20. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are suggesting that ticket price is not the leading determinant for most pax?
    Refundable tickets are available.
    Many domestic carriers are generating record profits. At present, the model is working for them. The domestic market being close to an oligopoly now, with prohibitions on meaningful foreign ownership largely preventing carriers from abroad coming in, the deck is stacked even more in the carriers' favor.

8MiHi and bigx0 like this.
  21. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    does this mean there is a reasonable point coming soon where you will optionally (a) pay more than UA's price and/or (b) be willing to connect on a different carrier even though UA has a nonstop?

22. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was suggesting elements of deception (bait-and-switch) at the time of purchase. The OP and other pax sometimes expect certain equipment standards and amenities, and receive something worse. Other times they receive something better than expected, and the price is the same (UA will take care of it soon :D). When a product is not fully described at the time of purchase, you can't conclude who's willing to pay for what.

Newscience likes this.
  23. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a normal American, I eat Dominos. It's cheese and bread and sauce cooked for 10 minutes in an oven. And it tastes just fine.

24. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    As the avg leisure traveler makes on avg less than one trip a year, has a short memory, and is easily swayed by slick advertising. The suppliers feel they can reduce quality without loosing revenue.

Newscience likes this.
  25. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    While indeed changes in amenities and equipment swaps can be confusing, airline tickets cover getting from A to B, and not much more.

Newscience and IDGflygirl like this.