Blacklisted from Chase...for a month

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by michael21, Jan 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last month Chase closed all my cards without warning and no one told me why...ok I guess I was black listed.

Fast forward to 2 days ago, I get an email from marriott, 80,000 if you spend $3,000...' Ok why not. I applied and today got approved...

So a. Can they revoke that decision? B. Was I never really blacklisted? C. I had the marriott card like 2 years ago. Does this mean I have a clean slate???

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What did you do with your Chase cards that would make them want to lose you as a customer?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not a clue. With my citi 5x card...fine if they axed me I understand but I was always careful with chase.

4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were you into MS?

5. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not with Chase.

6. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing this information, but it would be more useful if we got additional details as to did you call the customer service, if so, what did they say, what kind of charges or their frequency could have been considered by Chase to be 'not right', etc. etc. I am sure others could avoid the pitfalls, if more was shared.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    There must've been something that caused Chase to shut you down. They're not going to shut you down for the hell of it. I don't think there's anywhere near enough information for anyone to be able to tell you anything helpful.

boondr and daninstl like this.
  8. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    OP, from what you've written is almost seems like you didn't even make a call to Chase to inquire about the situation. Is that so? :confused:

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I had all my accounts closed and I did not know why, I'd go ballistic, and, yet, the OP does not seem to have even bothered to find out why. Something does not compute...:confused:

flyforawg, ariosto, boondr and 2 others like this.
  10. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 on calling Chase. They shut me down one day because I used my card at an out of state gas station even though I have in my records that I travel a bunch. I called and they asked a few questioned and opened me back up.
    If your doing some like money laundering, uh I mean buying tons of Vanilla Bluebirds, etc. then the call might not be the same with them or the treasury department.

LETTERBOY and WilliamQ like this.
  11. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    But...but.... but... :)

daninstl likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:

I interpreted "and no one told me why" in the original post that the OP asked and they refused to tell him.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ding ding ding. I called like 7 times but the company line was if you'd like to sue I understand but we don't have any info for you.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even more bizarre, especially since banks are keenly aware that consumers got a lot protection under the new laws that congress passed that now force them to disclose information that they previously refused to disclose...the OP's cavalier attitude on this did not help.

wharvey likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Is there (now) a law or regulation that requires banks to give you a reason if they decide they want to discontinue their credit card business relationship? If yes, pointing the OP to that might be a constructive help to get to the bottom of his problem.

Not sure I understand.

16. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Cosmos Human Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a MOD over at creditboards.com and I hear this a lot. To me, Chase is the DEVIL!

Gargoyle, Max M and Slow_Mustang like this.
  17. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    What would you attribute their un-devlish ways (and non-mortal wounds :)) to? - issuing a brand new card a month after closing all accounts.
    Something does not add up, and that is what the OP and the rest of us are mesmerized by.

Giving a complete picture by any thread starter as to the nature of the problem and the steps already taken to alleviate the situation, does reduce the amount of speculative back and forth and help other members understand/benefit from the situation. Information should not have to be pulled out of him/her one bit at a time. The 'Ding, ding, ding' should have been included in the original post. What else will be revealed in the subsequent discussion about this case - the nature and frequency of the most recent charges made? If we are to be the problem solvers, then all facets of the problem have to be completely defined/disclosed, else it is a waste of everybody's time.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    LETTERBOY likes this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What are those who have their accounts closed typically doing that could trigger this? I cannot imagine that Chase discontinues a business relationship without cause.

There are two ways to interpret "and no one told me why"

1. I was sitting on my a$$ waiting for Chase to reach out to me and explain themselves and that never happened.
    2. I called them and they wouldn't tell me the reason.

Which one do you think is more likely?

I think #2 is by far more likely, so I chose to interpret the sentence that way. I don't understand why people keep harping on this and giving the OP a hard time about this.

Yes, I would think we more information about the usage pattern to understand the situation (see my first post).

newbluesea likes this.
  19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is called the consumer protection act or whatever. It was a great overhaul of credit card practices by the banks 3-4 years ago. It is why there is a great deal more info in your monthly statement and why you keep getting those pamphlets that disclose what they will do or will not do with your info and what your rights are. I am not going to search for it but the OP, if s/he cares, could look it up.
    The last thing I would have on my mind if I had all my accounts closed by a bank would be to try to open yet another account with the same bank without first finding out why the other accounts were closed...but, hey, maybe that is just me...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't need much searching. Just searching for "congress overhaul of credit card law" got me there. For those who missed it, here's what you need to know about what Congress did to protect you from banks that manipulated rules to keep you in credit card debt forever. This fact sheet is straight from the White House website:
    This is the bit that should be of interest to the OP if s/he should wish to seek a legal remedy (but really, the whole law is about forcing the banks to be responsive to consumers. They cannot close a CC account and refuse to tell a consumer why. That is now verboten!]:
    Disclosure is the keyword...

cocobird likes this.
  21. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about full disclosure on the 80k offer? linky?

22. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chase cuts you off at 50,000 office points, so that us only 10k spend.

I think they limit your MS Options, but it might be a good idea to Xfer the points to the airlines, or hotels to limit your liabilities.

Good insurance, for a high flyer. BB are not my thing, but I do use the HIGC a lot,

I have read about a 90k guy with 180 in CC limits, so hey 45k take home after taxes, and he us wondering why they are chopping on him...

I am wondering why they gave him the limit to begin with,

Banks are pretty free with these cards, and people sure abuse them.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  23. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    $50,000 not points. $50,000 in 5x is 250k

satman40 likes this.
  24. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you,

I get lost in the world if high finance, and typos are bad also.,

I hate to hear of anyone getting Blacklisted,

Cause it could happen to me also...the DEVIL made he say that..

25. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed!

I just tried disputing a charge with Chase for a company that was offering U.S. Airways miles if you used their service. The company claimed it would take 7-10 business days for the miles to post. Oddly enough there was no form field to input your Dividend Miles prior to purchasing the product. 7-10 days passed and nothing showed in my U.S. Airways account.

I sent 2 emails to company, as well as posting on their official Facebook page. The company completely ignored all communications from me.

I filed a complaint about this company with the BBB. The BBB informed me today that the company refused to respond to their letter.

So today, I attempted to file a dispute about the charge with Chase.

Chase balked. Chase claimed that unless the miles were clearly shown as an add-on charge that they couldn't dispute the charge because it was a promotion.

I argued with Chase citing that the company inflated prices to account for the miles, and Chase again used the circular logic that since I wasn't directly charged for the miles, Chase could not file a dispute with the company. :mad:

Gargoyle likes this.