Blackberry Z10

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sma_15, May 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sma_15

sma_15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been a Blackberry user for quite some time and my Curve 9300 (yes the first 3G Curve, I know it is old) is due to be upgraded. I was wondering what impressions were of the Z10. How do people like it, good bad indifferent? Is it worth getting now or wait for the Q10 to see the physical keyboard version?

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used both but currently using a Z10 for work... it's a radical departure from the old OS, so you might be in for a bit of a learning curve, but it shouldn't be too hard to get used to, assuming you stick with it.

The only real concern you should have is availability of applications for it. They have A LOT of apps in the App World, including some ports of popular Android apps, but there are a lot of apps for the old devices which are not available yet -- big travel things like TripIt for example.

I'd say look at your apps and see what you can live without, and if the ones you can live with are available then make the switch. Couldn't really hurt and at some point your current device is going to die and you're going to have to upgrade regardless :)

3. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wait for the Blackberry App for android to come out :)

-----------------------------------------

He's dead, Jim! You get his tricorder. I'll get his wallet.

4. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perfect communications device. I love my z10.

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone tested out a Q10 yet?

6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still need a keyboard- touchscreen just doesn't work for me despite all the pr pushes that way- I tolerate it on my iPad however even there I have a bluetooth keyboard for when I need to write more than 2 or 3 paragraphs.

7. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was the same way, and I had my 9960... however the software keyboard on the blackberry, is far and above superior to any other software virtual keyboard that I have seen.

guinnessxyz and TRAVELSIG like this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I am going to put up with a touchscreen then I will migrate to the soon-to-be new iPhone as it integrates well with iPad, Macbook, my car (integrated itunes/iphone support), etc. Blackberry stickiness at the moment for me is based only on keyboard as otherwise there are many compelling reasons to move over to the iWorld (which by the way I am also not that fond of with the exceptions of reading the Financial Times and Kindle on the iPad and the overall interface of the Macbook/OS X Mountain Lion).

9. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a financial planner and I know what you mean. I do have an old Playbook that I used with my blackberry. I currently have an iPad which I run a ton of stuff on, in fact, I can do most of my meetings with it. I use the tmobile hotspot for internet, and share files on google drive.

I currently have 3 cell phones, aha, don't ask, one for each business.... have a Blackberry Z10, a Samsung Note 2, and an iPhone 5.

BB Z10 is the best overall, even though there are no "wow" features. Keyboard is best software one, although i would be tempted with the Q10 when that comes out. Samsung Note 2 is good, but keyboard sucks. Screen is nice, but with an Ipad.... the Z10 and Ipad are perfect. iphone 5.... well it has iphone ecosystem. Form factor is really nice, but screen is a tad too small to reall use it. with iphone, you neeed to have ipad to surf the web effectively.

viguera and TRAVELSIG like this.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this- we have a small "phone and tablet" graveyard as well at our office and it is easy to see the devices that fare well and those that just didn't receive love. Tablet wise of course except for the iPads the other most loved tablet is the Nexus7 due to its small size and very fast software as well as tons of free apps and customization possibilities. Phonewise Blackberry is still in the slight lead but with every change that is falling behind further and further with a clear overall preference actually to Android phones. The iPhone is considered "too much of a toy" and also breaks very easily although the 5 is much more appreciated than the 4 as the 4 was quite clunky and the 5 is much lighter and has the larger screen.

The iOS ecosystem is somewhat compelling yet Blackberry still stays around because of the keyboard and the email system which most of us still consider far superior to the alternatives for email.

I see the Q10s are already down to around 600 EUR - when they hit 400 it will be worth a couple of trials.

viguera likes this.
  11. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had the Z10 since the first week or so it was out. Been on blackberry for about 6 years now and this is my third all touch BB (Storm, Torch). By far the best but as pointed out there's a bit of a learning curve with the new flow software but its works very well once you get used to it.

Everyone at the office moves to the Z10, most were coming from the Curve or Bold. Generally they struggle with no keyboard -- but I assume this was similar to when I changed from the Curve to the Storm. I think some might have preferred to wait for the Q10 but for viewing documents the large screen of the Z10 does get great comments. I wouldn't trade a smaller screen for a keyboard myself. That screen does drain the battery fast, I spend a lot of time using the phone during the day and I can't get through a typical 9-5 day without charging at the desk at some point. The Q10 has a larger battery and smaller screen, so should do much better.

12. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you do the software update? It addressed the battery issue. Also just make sure NFC, and anything else you do not use is turned off.

Also keep in mind.... The z10 can run almost any android app, you just have to load it from the PC.

13. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did both updates, the one that came out the first week or so and then 10.1 last week.

NFC is off, only wifi and bluetooth are on. But I get a lot of use out of that screen. I also read on another forum that the old BB chargers only put out 700ma wheres the Z10 requires 750ma, I was still using some old chargers so I've swapped them out and its made a bit of a difference. I will do like I've always done with blackberry, and get an external charger and second battery.

14. +1 and more