BlackBerry RIM set for another grim quarter: Analysts Michael

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by ACMM, Sep 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    BlackBerry maker RIM set for another grim quarter: Analysts

With Apple Inc.’s iPhone 5 leading a parade of flashy new mobile devices onto store shelves this fall there would seem to be little room for the late-to-the-game next-generation BB 10 smartphones from Research in Motion.

Even if RIM launches compelling phones on schedule in the first quarter of 2013 after delays pushed the rollout past the critical holiday shopping season, Canaccord Genuity’s T. Michael Walkley says the debut won’t be enough to halt the company’s slide.

As RIM stock tumbled another 6 per cent on a short-lived but embarrassing service outage in Europe and Africa Friday, the day the iPhone 5 went on sale, Steven Li of Raymond James said the long wait for a BlackBerry lineup in a fast-moving, hyper competitive market means “the chance for a comeback is diminishing.”

RIM shares fell 50 cents to close at $6.25 in trading on the TSX Friday.

http://bit.ly/PvstrT

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

sobore and flyingdawg like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense, considering that they're basically living off the network access fees and selling "old" inventory. No new phones for the last few months -- or for the next few -- means seriously reduced revenue.

Still, the company does have money in the bank, and the internal documents that have been made public (and people in the early adopter programs) reveal that they already have agreements to license access to their NOC and solid MDM platforms that would allow companies to use a single solution to manage iPhones / Android as well as Blackberry.

My guess is that they will simply steal the business from MDMs like Good or Mobile Iron when it's time for companies to renew contracts. After all, why pay those companies a licensing fee when you can just bundle it with the existing money you're paying RIM, and manage all your devices from a single interface?

macbookguy and flyingdawg like this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    However the recent European and African outage does not help them in the least.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

macbookguy and flyingdawg like this.
  4. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    I still like my Blackberry. To me it's about e-mail and a keyboards vs. 'apps'.

flyingdawg likes this.
  5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Corporate email is just fine for me on the iPhone. and I really like the autocorrect - I get so may BBerry emails sent to me full of errors :eek: ... also is the next BB supposedly going to have a soft keyboard? (i.e. not real!)

flyingdawg, mht_flyer and viguera like this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah they're planning a model with a keyboard and one without.

As far as the spelling errors that's just laziness. The Blackberry has supported spelling and custom dictionaries for years now :)

ACMM likes this.
  7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then everyone I know who uses a BB is lazy then ! :)

flyingdawg, mht_flyer and viguera like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not lie autocorrect is ensuring correct emails.

9. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had 3 blackberries good at the time... Have a Galaxy IIs for work and iPhone (5 just arrived yesterday :) )

Not looking back....

Put a fork in blackberry, it is done!

macbookguy and ACMM like this.
  10. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I miss my keyboard. Some of the apps are really helpful.

11. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The rumors -- and I must emphasize they are just rumors -- are that there will be models with and without keyboards, not an either-or proposition. Although I would suggest looking at Android if you really want a phone with a keyboard. BB is going nowhere fast.

viguera likes this.
  12. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lazy? Surely you jest...and my name's not Shirley!

macbookguy likes this.
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not just rumors... there are plenty of leaked high quality pictures of both devices out there. The keyboard-less version (London) has been in the works for a while, and it's very very close to the BB10 Alpha Dev device that was handed to attendees of Blackberry Jam.

The OS doesn't seem to lend itself to a small screen anymore though, so the device with a keyboard might actually not work as well, unless you don't use the screen that much.

macbookguy likes this.
  14. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the purpose of the keyboard if you do not use the screen? :rolleyes: ;)

15. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well for all the goodness of auto-correct and auto-complete, I can type like a bastard on a real keyboard compared to a virtual one. Not to mention that some of the stuff you might type depending on your job (acronyms, server names, etc) are butchered pretty badly by auto-correct.

I have a 9930 that I use for work and I rarely use the screen, because of what I use the device for. Maybe once in a while it will be easier to tap on a button on the screen or a form field instead of using the trackpad to move the cursor around, but that's usually rare.

With that said, I can see the value of screen real estate though, especially when browsing or using certain apps, so having a large screen comes in handy.

macbookguy and ACMM like this.
  16. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Miss my blackberry keyboard, nobody does a keyboard on these devices like they have. But everything else is so far behind I couldn't justify sticking with them. :(

macbookguy likes this.
  17. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also have to agree on the keyboard. My last blackberry was a tour and that keyboard was awesome.