BlackBerry 10′s six business traveler features may just sway you

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Jan 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://skift.com/2013/01/31/blackberry-10s-six-business-traveler-features-may-just-sway-you/

Whether or not BlackBerry is going to make it in the long run, the software the company unveiled today is extremely impressive, especially if you’re a business user. It’s clear that BlackBerry (the company formerly known as Research in Motion) is doubling down on its core audience in rich countries: enterprise customers in law, finance, insurance, and government.

The BlackBerry 10 operating system has a handful of core features that are highly evolved, business-centric re-conceptions of features that barely exist in iOS (the operating system for iPhones) and Android. Watching them in action, it seems credible that the company is delivering on its goal to make phones into little computers rather than simply “mobile devices.”

BlackBerry’s global announcement of its new phones is available to stream on the web, but the company’s own short video demonstrations of the phones’ most interesting features are far more informative, so I’ve rounded them up below.

Read More: http://skift.com/2013/01/31/blackberry-10s-six-business-traveler-features-may-just-sway-you/

guinnessxyz, NYCUA1K and uggboy like this.
  2. I will have mine next Tuesday when they are released for sale in Canada. I played with one and the touch screen keyboard is simply amazing as well as all the features mentioned by the OP.

sobore and viguera like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    We've been evaluating some of the dev units for a while now and it's a very radical departure from the current Blackberry devices. I think the learning curve might be too much for some people, but the killer "problems" that I see are the lack of consumer-friendly apps and the delays on release to the US market.

I agree with the article, that as long as the apps that you need are there you should be ok, but it's a big problem for them if they can't churn out a significant amount of apps to attract the crowds in a very short time. I personally don't use a whole lot of apps on my personal or business device, but if you want to go after the average consumer you need Netflix, banking apps, Starbucks and things like that.

For the traveling crowd you have another problem with the loyalty-specific apps... Apple already has a pretty good setup going with Passbook, and Google's approach of handling this automatically with Google Now by scouring your email is pretty nifty as well. Blackberry on the other hand has nothing of the sort... and now it's a waiting game until you have apps from UA / AA / Hilton / Marriott / etc. Assuming everyone even decides to jump in, and that it doesn't take them months to support the platform.

In the meantime the tech-savvy road warrior that's used to doing business a particular way has to consider whether or not this is a platform worth looking into, or if they're going to sit it out and wait until it's more mature.

sobore likes this.
  4. All android apps will be convertible to the BB OS in a very short time. They expect to have over 100,000 apps ready by the time they launch in the US is what I've been told.
    I will let you know if the new OS is a big adjustment in about a week or so as I will have mine on Tuesday.

viguera likes this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's one of the problems though... they went through the hack-a-thon and people ported thousands of apps to make a quick buck, but most of them are things you don't want to use or badly integrated Android apps with a wrapper to work in QNX.

Things are much better now than when the Dev Alpha A and B devices were introduced, but there's still a long way to go. Then again, anybody that was there for the early iOS and Android days knows that it takes a while to build up a good application portfolio, so I'm sure that things will get better soon enough.

With that said, I'm still hanging on to my Galaxy Nexus until they release all the apps that I need, but I'm not going to stop using my BB10 device any time soon.

208335_10151344472436698_276369033_n.jpg