BKK or HKG for 2-3 days

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Aktchi, Apr 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I may be able to make a MR to either BKK or HKG. I'll be able to stay at most 2-3 days. Which of these two cities would be more fun and better value (at core level, this is MR after all)?

Please leave out tailors and massage parlors in your calculation!

2. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bangkok has cheaper lodging and, as you're coming from ORD, will give more miles.

Chimpy and Kalboz like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    HKG is a wonderful and exciting multicultural city, but expensive. However, in its favor, the new airport is nice (although there can be lines for passport control in both directions if you're a foreigner) and has very good and quick (but not cheap) airport transportation, the express train to Kowloon and Central, with either subway connections or hotel shuttles to your final destination. For example, you can leave Kowloon at 5 pm for a 6:30 SQ flight to SIN, assuming that you use the convenient check in and bag drop at the airport express train station in Kowloon. If you're not on a tight budget, I think the efficiency is an argument for Hong Kong.

LXofSweden likes this.
  4. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    take the airport bus and stay at a hotel along the bus route. there are a few pretty good hotels along - as long as you're not the UHM(ultra high maintenance) people my friend and i love to make fun of. probably not BKK cheap, but its 6ish USD from airport to town. aircon and comfy coach(bus) seats. unlike the airport express you wont need to change to a cab or whatever hotel connecting coach.
    Then said, if you are to stay at 4S (HK Station) or W / Ritz Carlton (Kowloon Station), The airport express would bring you right to the foot of the hotel.

is there something you like to do? i'd say hong kong but i live here. fumitani would know about more of both places for a comparasion if you'd like to.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For Hong Kong, I'd say ride the Star Ferry (ideally day and night) and visit the historical buildings around it on the Kowloon side, where you should also walk along the water (avenue of stars). Go for tea in the Peninsula or go for a drink or dinner at Felix, to enjoy the view. Take the tram to Victoria Peak on a clear day. Take the escalator up to the street with antique stores. Go to a night market. Visit the museum of HK history near the park on the Kowloon side. Eat well. If you have more time, go to the museums along the water on the Kowloon side, visit the Buddha, the railway museum, Happy Valley, and have dinner in a floating restaurant.

kwai and kaka like this.
  6. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is really the crux of the issue. What is it the OP is looking for (other than an MR)?

Kalboz likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point. If MR is the objective, maybe consider also aircraft type, even lounge opportunities.

8. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    to sum it up in 1-2 question: does OP want a beach resort (except from *massage parlors* thats the other thing thailand is good for) or a more NewYorky /Londony trip? hk also have quite a bit of hiking trail if you want.

water sports anyone? :p

9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chimpy, kaka and kwai like this.
  10. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't sure if the massage parlours were a given and expected or completely ruled out?!? :D And there's no need to classify Thailand as just a beach resort. I've effectively been avoiding them for several years.

MSPeconomist, brings up a good point as well, one that wasn't really the meaning of my post though.

It would be easy for me to eat my way through 2 days in Bangkok. And there's plenty to see and do to occupy those days without 1) spending an arm/leg 2) staying away from the seedier aspects. Hong Kong food, while great, is not to the level of gritty local Thai foods, but that's a personal thing. There's plenty to do in HK as well. Next time there I'm all over the ferries to outlying islands, something I've been jonesing for.

OP needs to decide if they want more miles and a cheaper destination (BKK) or a more organized commercial city (HKG). Really there's no wrong choice here, but we're just throwing out what's on the top of our mind and OP hasn't come back yet.

Chimpy, kaka, MSPeconomist and 2 others like this.
  11. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you been to either one or both?

HKG is one of my favorite cities. Hopefully you can use points, c&p or whatever for hotel costs. If not BKK will be cheaper, and BKK is also a great destination, but oh so much different than HKG in almost every way.

-David

LXofSweden and kwai like this.
  12. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to everyone for their opinions. I was open to the possibility of BKK, HKG, as well as SIN which got left out in the thread. (NRT and PVG would have been more or less the same fare but far fewer miles.)

In the end, the final decision was made by the airfare and availability of lower fare buckets on the dates at least manageable if not convenient for me...Drum roll, please...It is going to be BKK.

My flight will arrive there around 11 PM on May3. Leave 8 AM on May 6. Great times, especially the arrival, :) but remember that airfares determine everything in this business.

I'll need a lot of advice re BKK hotels, how to make the best use of the time etc. And just in case anyone will be around. That would probably be best in a new thread.

kwai and Chimpy like this.
  13. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    JALPak likes this.
  14. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz can lead you in the right direction if you 're looking to spend $50+ per night. If you're game for a lower number I might be of help. I won't be in the region during those times (a trip back to NY for bagels/lox :D ) but should you need any info don't hesitate to get in touch .

Kalboz likes this.
  15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    It all depends on what your interests are and what your budget like ... arriving at around 11 PM on May 3rd and leaving at 8 AM on May 6th will essentially give you "48 hours" in Bangkok. Many articles are written about this exact subject:

http://traveler.nationalgeographic.com/2007/03/48-hour-guide/bangkok-text/2

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/48-hours-in/48-hours-in-bangkok-2107783.html

http://in.reuters.com/article/2006/12/22/idINIndia-28124220061222

Moreover, even Nile Guide offers a 48-hour in Bangkok recommendation ... or, you can go here to pick and chose what you like to indulge in: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/six-nights-in-bangkok.4768/#post-184791

Figuring out what you like to do will also help you figuring out which hotel or area to stay.

16. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm doing much the same thing, except I am doing both (3 days in BKK, 2 days in HKG, 1 day in MFM). So I will be interested in seeing what you come up with.

17. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Kwai and Kalboz. I thought this thread's title may not be suitable for BKK specific advice, so I started another one: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/bangkok-hotel-food-advice-2-3-days.8935.

Please look at it. I shall be most grateful for any advice or comments there. Kalkoz, the links yo uprovided have been noted.

Eponymous_coward: You have exciting plans. I would have loved to do that! You are certainly most welcome to participate in these threads.

18. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, actually, the itinerary is really: 2 days HKG, 6 days DPS, 3 days BKK, 1 day MFM, 1 day TXL, 5 days LEJ (maybe a day trip to PRG for Prague-do?), and one day getting to FRA through CGN... and a couple of days in transit due to the length of flights involved.

It's not a mileage run: it is burning quite a lot of miles and points for F and hotel rooms...