BKK HOTEL...WESTIN or HILTON

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by mo26, Feb 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have any experience with the Westin, Conrad, or Millennium?

I haven't stayed at any of them yet, and the Mrs. and I will be passing through so she can tour the city for a couple days. Sounds like the Westin is nice and close enough to transit to make an airport transfer and city tour quite easy.

Like everyone else, I'm trying to liquidate my HHonors as fast as I can, but both of these locations sound pretty business-centric.....

If it matters, I'm Diamond at Hilton and Plat with SPG....Though a new Plat, so it would be nice to see what the status can get me in Asia (I've got high hopes based on Hilton & Marriott experiences in the past).

Thanks,

Mo

Kalboz and LIH Prem like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just redeemed a reward stay at Conrad BKK last month, with a complimentary upgrade to a magnificent suite. SPG plat would probably get you less than HH Diamond would get you at Hilton or Conrad BKK. Never got close to the Hilton so I can only say that I liked the Conrad, a lot...

Kalboz and mo26 like this.
  3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the MIllennium is best positioned for some of the touristy stuff (right on the river), and is a really nice place.

4. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Westin Grande Sukhumvit (WGS) is a nice hotel, has a lounge, nice modern rooms, next to Terminal 21 and Robinson's malls, has it's supporters, but the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit (SGS) (Luxury Collection) across the street is my top choice for BKK.

They treat platinums great, way beyond the SPG requirements, usually a nice upgrade, breakfast for platinums included at your choice of poolside or the restaurant, a daily cocktail hour, usually has availability at cash and points rates (and all stays count for status now at Starwood) and a bunch of other over the top benefits. The GM, Mr Chapman, posts frequently on FT, and has been great. Also the skytrain has an exit right into the SGS, at Asok. The WGS is almost as convenient, but there's no exit right into the hotel.

The WGS and SGSare all essentially in the same area, near Sukhumvit and Asok, at or near Asok BTS. You can try both if you want to. I remember one year, the bellman literally ran my bags up and over the pedestrian walkway from the WGS to the SGS and vice versa as I switched hotels to get extra stays or just to try both.

The Conrad is near the embassies, there's also a Starwood property there too, the Plaza Athenee. I've never stayed there either. It certainly looks like a nice area, especially if you are with family, and they are also not too far from a BTS station, though the most convenient hotel for the BTS (skytrain) has got to be SGS with WGS a close second.

I've not tried any of the Hilton family properties in BKK.

Our resident Bangkok expert, Kalboz can probably answer any other questions. I'm pretty sure he knows about all of these properties in detail from personal experience.

Anyway, if you want to get blown away by plat benefits, try the SGS. Just don't let it spoil you. :)

Or you can try all of them to find out which ones you like. Bangkok has got to be one of the best cities for hotel hopping there is, with a glut of luxury properties, they have great rates and most of the good ones have great service.

-David

5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Loved the Conrad. Now my favorite hotel.

mo26 likes this.
  6. There is the St. Regis if you to use *wood. Its in a good shopping area and right in the heart of things near the Four Seasons, Hyatt and IC.

tommy777 and mo26 like this.
  7. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great thoughts, thanks!

Unfortunately the SGS isin't offering c+p on my dates, but. the WGS is, so i'm thinking that's the ticket.

MO

Kalboz likes this.
  8. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Royal Orchid Sheraton gets mixed reviews but we loved the riverside location (and were given lovely riverview suites there.) Also, the Le Meridien had the best breakfast, in our opinion, of any of the BKK hotels. Does either of those have availability?

mo26 likes this.
  9. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Loved the Conrad when I was there last month. Great lounge. Rooms are very nicely done. Haven't stayed at the starwood properties to compare.

ballardFlyer, Kalboz and mo26 like this.
  10. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like the meridien is available at the same rate as the westin. How was the location relative to transit and sightseeing?

Also, I've got a transit stay in BKK earlier in the week with a 1530 arrival and a 745 domestic departure the following morning. I know the Accor has a spot on property for $150 a night, but i'm wondering if you folks know of any other properties closer to BKK that might save me some cash (and that i could earn/burn some points on)

MO

LIH Prem and Kalboz like this.
  11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The big chains are all in town. There are a bunch of properties near the airport with shuttles that are perfectly fine for a transit stay, and are half the price of Novotel at BKK (or even less). Use agoda or something like that to narrow some things down. You might look in the Thailand forum, too (where this thread might actually be better placed, BTW).

Bangkok has such a wealth of hotels that aren't affiliated with the big chains that unless it's a screaming good deal in and of itself, or you're desperate for that shiny plastic card with the name of a noble metal or precious jewel on it, or you're playing with Other People's Money in order to get that week in at some aspirational property in the Maldives/Bora Bora/Bali/Ko Samui, it's rarely a good idea to chase the points.

uggboy, Kalboz and mo26 like this.
  12. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, i've stayed at a number of the transit hotels (the regent always seems to be a great deal), but I was looking at some of the bigger chain options that I wasn't familiar with.

MO

Kalboz likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. It is one of a few cities where it is so cheap to simply buy the level of luxury actually desired that chasing "free" upgrades from status/points is very hard to justify IMO.

eponymous_coward and mo26 like this.
  14. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    But, but, but that "free" upgrade to a great suite at Conrad BKK, where I stayed using only HH points (read: for "free") was incredibly rewarding and I did not even need to hunt for deals! In a couple of minutes, my only choice, which was between the Hilton and the Conrad, was made, and a minute later the booking done, just waiting for me to check in when I got there...:)

16. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The equation is possibly a bit different when you're burning points as opposed to earning/chasing. IME, though, the Western chains tend to charge more for the equivalent level of comfort- perhaps it's because they know they will be hosting people from First World companies who have commensurate expense accounts.

Also, you won't be staying at the Lebua State Tower on Hilton points. :)

Kalboz, mo26 and NYCUA1K like this.
  17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unquestionably. It would be cheaper to stay at local hotels because they would not cater as much to supposedly cash-loaded, First World guests, many of whom might stay at western chains (though possibly owned by local moguls but managed a western chain) because of their companies' contracts...

In general, I burn points on personal stays, allowing me to be a bit more 'extravagant' because it feels like it is "free"...;)

18. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, there are some pretty luxe places in Bangkok outside of the chains: the aforementioned Lebua, Hansar, a whole wealth of options...

19. glennaa11

glennaa11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depending on what sort of amenities you require the Aloft on Sukhumvit 11 is nice and quite cheap. There's also the Four Points Sheraton on Sukhumvit 15 that got very good reviews when it opened.

20. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i feel bad posting this in the wrong spot, as the op, can i move this thread?

oh, and how can i link to a thread like someone did earlier regarding the meridien?

Thanks,

MO

Kalboz likes this.
  21. its fine right here.

22. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    A while back we had a thread about which Hilton Hotel property in Bangkok, here: Which Hilton property in Bangkok?

As for the Westin Grande Sukhumvit (WGS), although it is right at Asok BTS station for easy access to all points of interest in Bangkok, it is low on my long list of favorite Bangkok properties. This is purely based on my opinion after two stays at this property.

To answer the original question we need more information from the OP. Is this your first time in Bangkok? Will you be traveling alone or with a significant other? Family? What would you like to do in Bangkok, shopping? Sightseeing? etc.
    [​IMG]

mo26, NYCUA1K and LIH Prem like this.
  23. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:

I've tried the Le M, and I'm in the minority because I didn't care for it. Rooms were fabulous, very modern, very Le M style. Everybody else just loves that property.

It's close to both BTS and MRT, I would say not in a very family friendly location, but you can avoid that part of it if you want to.

I would try Plaza Athenee before Le M, for a nice wife-friendly location. Though I've never tried it myself.

As for SGS, keep your eye on the availability, it might change or you could try contacting the property or Mr Chapman.

-David

mo26 and Kalboz like this.
  24. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    and of course you are right about that, but so are the people who like that property. They like the lounge and the afternoon cocktails in the lounge. They like the more up to date rooms. And for those who get them (not me, usually) they like the upgrades there.

I'm a WGS fan also, but my preference is still SGS between the two.

-David

25. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Knowing what I know, if I was burning a passel of HHonors and was a Diamond, I'd pick the Millennium Hilton. Stayed there in 2011, nice property, Be Our Guest has great som tam and tam yung, and it's right on the river, which is the best way to hit the touristy spots with the Mrs...