Bizarre Business Plan!

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Steven Schwartz, Aug 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying LH FRA to EDI later this month. Going Business Class on miles. About half of Business Class is sold and maybe, just maybe, 10% of Economy. But look at prices at it is something like $675 for Ecopnomy and $715 for Business!

I'm hoping the flight isn't cancelled but can't imagine what they're thinking! Any ideas?

Kalboz and Newscience like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you pointing out the difference between business class and coach? That seems to be about what I would be willing to pay for the difference in service.

Or the fares in general? How do you you know they have only sold 10% of the seats? Seat map? How reliable are they? Isn't LH charging for seat assignments? http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Seat-reservation

Kalboz likes this.
  3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    LH 964 on August 19. Check it out.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Economy Basic and Economy Basic Plus aren't available (anymore) for that flight, so the fare shown is the Economy Flex. Changeable and refundable without fee.

So I am still not clear what your concern is.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    By the way, it seems that if you book a round trip, those lower (cheaper) fare classes are available.

6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, Euro carriers are weird that way. Part of why Ryanair, EasyJet and Norwegian are eating their lunches...

B1BomberVB and Newscience like this.
  7. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Never looked - taking the Queen Mary home!

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not isolated to Europe. There are still plenty of fares in US markets which are cheaper r/t than o/w. Hardly new(s).

Kalboz likes this.
  9. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    i caught a similar deal on AA to Barbados several years ago. I think it was $40 more eeach way to book business class six weeks out. it was during hurricane season, but the extra $80 was worth it. Turns out i would have gotten my exp upgrades on the flight but this way i was in weeks out. next.

10. Efrem
    Original Member

Efrem Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, keep in mind what business class within Europe is. You sit in the same seats as you would in Economy. You're guaranteed an empty middle seat, which costs the airline nothing if the flight isn't full, and the inboard armrests are flipped into the middle seat area to give you another few inches of width, again at zero cost to the airline. The difference in food in a 640-mile (1030-km) flight doesn't cost the airline nearly $40.

11. jcsjcs

jcsjcs Active Member

Status Points:
    Unless money is not an issue (in that case just book business and enjoy the lounge in Frankfurt with free drinks, food and snacks while waiting), you should look into a return trip, with the return way in the future. Just "no-show" for the return leg. Unless you do it every week, nobody will care.

LH has somehow determined that "there is no demand for one-way fares because most people want to fly back", and therefore do not offer discounted one-way fares. At least that's their official statement...

JCS.

12. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You're all right! Of course, I'm doing it on miles so happy I could work it out but the RT fare, as you mentioned, is well under half of the one way quoted! Still, very happy with what I got - free luggage and lounge access for my long layover.

A number of years ago, I had Swiss First tickets and wanted a layover in Zurich - was returning from Athens. No layovers allowed on my US Air award ticket. Tried a one-way from Athens to Zurich and it was a fortune. Found out then that RT was a lot less. Not sure how I figured this one out back then, but somehow found out that I could buy BMI miles (may they rest in peace!) and get a one-way award and it worked out well. I was proud beyond words for figuring it out (you all know the feeling!). But that's all part of the game. Hey - when it works, it's great. When it doesn't, we just keep working at it.

Kalboz likes this.
  13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yup. See any market where UA flies non-stop without other non-stop competition.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Or your beloved AA. PIT-DFW is $579ish o/w on October 15. Or $379 r/t for the same outbound flight and adding a return the following Monday.

Pretty sure DL does it, too.

15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh, I wasn't criticizing UA. I'd do the same thing if I were them. I might be a little bitter for Last-minute $800 one-way IAD-SAN fares, but I understand it. I think they do a better job exploiting pricing on captivity than AA (or maybe there's more demand on those routes for UA). I have no experience with DL's pricing strategies on routes like this.

Kalboz likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not any, but perhaps many. I happen to live in a market where it doesn't hold true; one-ways to the nearest UA hub are priced 1/2 the round trip fare, and they have a monopoly on that route as far as non-stops are concerned.

17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    What route?

18. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes, within EU, that's true but LH does offer competitive one-way TATL fares on their flights quite often, as well as inventory on UA metal under LH codeshare that Jeff won't sell at those prices ;) Don't ask for further clarification, you can research this phenomenon yourself. And do us all a favor, don't post specific examples here or we'll be Deltified.

Newscience and Kalboz like this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    TMI

(but I am sure you can figure it out based on my IP address; would prefer to keep it private, though)

20. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, plane was PACKED!!!!! No empty seats in coach, two empty in First.

21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And you have no idea what most of the customers on board paid.

22. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, TATL travel from LH for certain dates this fall from NYC to FRA/MUC is in the low $2,000 range for J seating. For the most part, UA quickly matched these fares for the dates which LH had on sale.

23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    UA sets the fares for both UA and LH (plus other partners) for the TATL market ex-USA. It is part of the JV agreement. Inventory may be controlled by the individual airlines but fares should be common.

Newscience likes this.
  24. oliver2002
    Original Member

oliver2002 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The UA/AC/LH/OS/SN/LX JV means all files the same fares and UA sets the inventory for all partners eastbound and LH westbound. The DL/AF/etc and BA/AA/etc is similarly structured.

Wandering Aramean likes this.