Biz class opinion

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by olmangsr, Aug 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone!
    Decided to burn some of my united miles to a trip to Asia in a couple of month and need some help!
    Debating between flying w Lufthansa/Thai (both a380) or Asiana/Singapore (both 777)all in business....
    Any opinions/recent experiences or just simply advice:)?thank you

aptraveler, NYCUA1K and jbcarioca like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Candidly, I would not feel bad about any of those options. Both the A380 and B777 on those carriers offer very good business class. I'd have a slight bias towards Thai because of the Thai generosity of service and BKK lounges. However, that is only a tiebreaker if all else remains absolutely equal. Asiana and Singapore have superb service and nice lounges too. LH has great lounges and excellent service, a trifle less sybaritic than the others, but zero cause for complaint.

I also slightly prefer the A380 to the B777 because of a trifle more space, and a quieter, smoother ride. That, too, is arguing over the relative merits of two excellent choices. People rave about the A380 increased space, but that is IMHO, about FC rather than Business. Were you in F, I'd instantly prefer either of the A380's, but F suites on SQ are great in the B777 too, and Asiana is justifiably famed for FC also.

So, olmangsr, I cannot see a bad choice!

Welcome to MilePoint! Please give us a trip report when you get back, and also tell us about your eventual choice here, and how you made it. What a nice dilemma you have.

MX and aptraveler like this.
  3. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah a love the a380 but heard mix reviews about its biz class(like a 3 hr meal service....) bec of the cabin's size.and if im right LH seats are worst than either Asiana or SQ,right?
    The only thing that makes me think about the LH version are Thai 's brand new babies...

aptraveler and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The business class seats on LH are not as good as those on the others, IMHO. All of them are visible on their websites, so I suggest you look at them and then decide your own preferences. Generally food service is a longer process on most A380's IME because they take advantage of the extra space to make the service less rushed. I have not been on the Thai A380 so I do not know about that one, but SQ, LH, AF, EK all have that slower service. All of them will serve you more quickly if you ask.

Other things equal I'd probably choose one other than LH because of the seats, but I do not mind LH business seats either.

aptraveler likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a lot of experience doing what you are planning, as I have been doing it at the end of every year for a while. In fact, I just booked the itinerary depicted below last night. I will get to the region doing JFK-IAD-ORD-HKG on United (used GPUs to request upgrades, most of which have cleared), and then use HKG as my base while I redeem exclusively in First or Business Class to criss-cross N and SE Asia as shown. Whether I got F or C depended on whether it was a 2- or 3-cabin metal, respectively. After the Figure, I will detail which carriers I took to get around.
    ASIA-ESCAPADE-2012.png

The following is in chronological order:
    • HKG - TPE: I paid for this segment because the only way to do it with a *A carrier was to get to that carrier's hub first (CA to PEK, TG to BKK, SQ to SIN), turning what would be a 40 min flight into several hours. So, I just paid $180 for Y to do this non-stop on Hong Kong Airlines.
    • TPE-PVG: Non-stop award flight in First Class on CA.
    • PVG-CSX: One stop in CTU, First Class for both segments on CA.
    • CSX-HKG: Needed to get back to HKG in order to redeem to fly to SE Asia. I paid (~$300) for this segment to travel on CX for the same reason that I paid for the HKG-TPE above -- much faster than redeeming.
    • HKG-SGN: Non-stop in business (JN) on UA117.
    • SGN-CGK: All on SQ with one stop in SIN. SGN-SIN: SQ Business (Connoisseur) Class; SIN-CGK: SQ First Class.
    • CGK-SIN: SQ Business (Connoisseur) Class.
    • SIN-BKK: TG Business Class.
    • BKK-HKG: TG Business Class.
    Then on to NRT-SFO-JFK on UA with possible upgrades using a GPU.

The bottom line is that one needs to remember that the most important thing is getting to where one wants to go as painlessly and quickly as possible so as not to waste vacation time. With that in mind, one can chart a course that will help accomplish the purpose of the trip. Most Asian *A carriers have great service so that I would not worry too much about the fluff that seems to preoccupy so many on this board. All of this did not cost even half of my available RDMs, and yet, I still decided to pay out of pocket to travel in Y for some segments, rather than redeeming to travel in C or F, to keep up with what I just said above: I wanted to get to where I wanted to go as painlessly and quickly as possible, so that I would have more time and energy to have fun at EACH destination.;)

What ever you decide to do, just remember that it is not about the planes, but about the wonderful places you are going to see!

jbcarioca, YULtide and aptraveler like this.