Bistros in Paris

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by erthcrclr, Oct 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. erthcrclr

erthcrclr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am soon off to Paris & London with someone who has never been to either place. London is covered (i.e., Fat Duck & Moro) but I'm looking for suggestions as to what's good in Paris nowadays. We'll be at the Intercontinental, in case you can advise about anything nearby. I'm looking for some reasonably-priced places with tasty food since the budget will be blown in London. In the past I've enjoyed the recommendations of Sandra Gustafson's Cheap Eats in Paris, if that helps give you a measure of what I'm seeking.

Gargoyle and Toula like this.
  2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.lostincheeseland.com/

Not sure if this would be of any help, but this is a blog that I follow and she has some reviews of some really tasty sounding bistro types that may suit your budget.

erthcrclr likes this.
  3. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW don't forget to report back where you did actually eat and what you thought of it.

catgirl likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try Relais Entrecôte in the 8th (Paris). Fixed menu: only Steak Frites. Considered by many to be tops in Paris. They open at 8pm, there will be a line out the door most nights. I don't normally go for line waiting...but this one is worth it. A dozen visits and never gone wrong.

erthcrclr, Toula and catgirl like this.
  5. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    We found quite a few awesome bistros in the 5th and 6th. Names escape me now, but I can go back in my notes and look.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    A dozen visits to a Steak Frites restaurant in Paris (of all cities in the whole world)?:)

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get to Paris often. I do eat at other restaurants as well.

This is the only place in Paris I've seen a queue out the door for over a decade.

Toula and catgirl like this.
  8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a fan of Le Bosquet. Maybe not as nice as you're looking for, but as a student I was pretty happy.

9. `X'
    Original Member

`X' Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just recently went to Paris in August.

Couple of tips for some goodies in the city. Les Ombres for something special close to the Eiffel tower with fantastic views. The Prix Fixe will be about 67E for dinner but the view of the eiffel at night is spectacular as it is on top of one of the museums.

Another little hidden treat is the W Restaurant at the Warwick Hotel. Just behind the Champs dinner was 35 Euros for 3 course Prix Fixe but its an open roof top with views of the eiffel so if you can get in, the sunset was amazing and the food pretty damn good for the price!

can link to photos of the meals etc we had if required :D

studio253 likes this.
  10. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 for Les Ombres. Enjoyed a delightful prix fixe lunch there.

Lalala likes this.
  11. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you wish to walk or Metro from the IC? How far is an acceptable walk? When we stay in the IC or Park Hyatt Vendome, we tend to walk for meals and markets (both traditional and late-night).

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. erthcrclr

erthcrclr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Walking for half an hour is fine, or Metro-ing plus walking is OK too. Sometimes I've loved just strolling about and happening on a place that looks good, but this will be such a short trip that I'll be aiming for specific spots.
    Les Ombres, Relais Entrecote, Le Bosquet, and W sound like just the sort of suggestions I was seeking. Any others in the immediate vicinity of the IC would be appreciated as well. Merci!

13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Entrecôte will be a 20 minute walk for the IC LeGrande.

14. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    I loved one called FISH in the 6th (69 rue de Seine 75006) that was more a wine bar than a bistro, but really terrific.

Also, Chef Eric in the Bastille was awfully good.

15. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another vote for Relais Entrecôte - if you get there around opening time the line isn't bad.

And the sauce really is pretty amazing...

16. erthcrclr

erthcrclr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Due to various circumstances, I regret to say I didn't get to eat at any of the above-mentioned places on that trip, though I'm hoping to get to some of them in a few months. The closest I got was arriving too late for lunch at Les Ombres (why oh why did I think showing my companion the view from La Tour Eiffel would be a good idea, given the interminable lines? The gates of h3ll were here and not at the Rodin!). We had unusually bad luck with the restaurants where we did end up, foolishly chosen each time because we happened to be on their doorsteps when we were feeling peckish...in particular Le Procope was a huge disappointment.
    On the bright side, Angelina remains the best place for hot chocolate in the world.
    (And the Fat Duck, while no elBulli, was a real treat. My companion ended the trip convinced that British food trumps French food. :eek:)

17. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are being way too kind to Le Procope - that place is just plain bad! (not awful but bad.)
    and
    Your companion is crazy. English food is and always was some of the worst food in the world.
    While it is not impossible to find a bad meal in Paris although you did when you decided to go to Procoupe, it is decided harder to find a truely good meal in London (other than Indian.)

18. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just returned from a trip to the UK and Paris and have to say I am veering with agreeing with the statement that English food on our trip definitely trumped the French we had. In our 9 days in Paris we probably had 2 meals where we thought the food was above average. The rest of it was very ordinary overpriced and not worth ever going to again. One dinner was so bad we sent it back and refused to pay for it. This was at an establishment we regularly dined at when we lived in Paris. However, apparently it is now listed in the Rick Steves guidebook so they figure they don't have to try.

England, we had a few exceptional meals at some pubs. Not the traditional pub food, but more the gastropub types.

YULtide likes this.