Bins in FC signposted for FC passengers

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MSPeconomist, Feb 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This week on a DL MD-90, I noticed signs inside the FC bins saying that they are for FC passengers only. This is a step in the right direction, but the signs of course become covered as people put in their luggage. I noticed the blue lettering painted on the back wall of the bins, IIRC at a sort of angle, with about two signs per bin door. It's good to give us some official ammunition when we notice coach passengers poaching FC bin space because they are too lazy to carry their stuff to their own seat.p

rwoman, Kalboz, ryandc99 and 3 others like this.
  2. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed this on the MD-88s I've been on for some domestic hops in the last month or so, too. Definitely a step in the right direction. Since some passengers might be too short to see them, it'd be nice if they put the signage down with the seat numbers in F.

3. Handleman20

Handleman20 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they also need to then put a sign in coach saying "Hey First Class passengers, if your bins are full then go just past first class and put your bags there. Don't worry, the people in those rows don't need any overhead space. Oh, and when the plane lands just stand in the way of everyone until they move so you can walk seven or eight rows back against traffic to get your bag."

I swear the next time I see someone do this I'm moving their bag back about 20 rows.

LarryInNYC, autolycus and Kalboz like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My fantasy is taking all the FA luggage of FAs working coach that is stored in the overhead bins in FC and gate checking it to Nigeria. The reality is that on many flights the FC bins are half full before the first FC passenger boards. Also, the FC cabins have a high ratio of bulkhead to total seats, so that many small items must go into the bins.

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta's boarding procedure makes this situation highly unlikely.

6. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its probably a bit of exaggeration, but there are a lot of things stored on a plane that need to be at the front and accessible for the flight attendants. Those often take up a lot of overhead space.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention the taper of the aircraft fuselage that often makes the bins at the very front less-than-capable of storing the standard roll-aboard.

mersk862 likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem is that on many flights, all of the FAs put their luggage and personal items in the FC bins. There's also stuff like the safety demo items, first aid and oxygen equipment, sometimes a bullhorn, etc. which unfortunately tends to be stored near the FC bulkhead seats.

9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Re the FAs, yes, some of the time...but certainly not most flights. I find far more often than not, there is extra space in the overheads in front at right at the end before boarding concludes, the FAs direct a pax or two from back to use the space.

It sounds like my experience differs from yours.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed that how much carryon FC passenges have is very route dependent. The road warrier flights that are not day trips seem to have one wheeled bag per person while long stay leisure routes seem to have most FC passengers checking their bags and only bringing smaller items on board. It also seems that after all the airline junk is accounted for in the very front, aircraft with more FC seats have more available bin space per FC passenger among mainline narrow body planes.