Bin Laden's death opens old wounds for airline workers

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by sobore, May 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...1_airline-workers-american-airlines-bin-laden

Osama bin Laden's death brought closure, but not celebration, to many airline workers.
    Every time they secure a cockpit door, walk through security checkpoints or eye nervous passengers, employees of United and American airlines are reminded of the Sept. 11 tragedy and the 35 friends and co-workers who died in hijacked jets.
    News of bin Laden's death Sunday brought a jolt of memory of the sadness and shock they felt during the attacks. The terror strikes also profoundly changed everyday life in aviation.

2soonold, jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those events coupled with Khobar Towers, USS Cole and a number of non-US connected bombings and other attacks also changing the ease of access to office buildings, public buildings and even apartment buildings in many places. It is not just aviation that feels the effects of mass paranoia, sadly, paranoia that often is justified. The most serious single effect of the Osama career may well be the loss of important parts of civil discourse around the world, loss of national integrity for Pakistan and exacerbated relationships due to polarization between Muslim and non-Muslim . Among the most insidious effects has been an increase in polarization within different Muslim sects, culminating in loss of civil discourse between them.

The saddest part is that the Al-Qaeda message largely succeeded in its goals. Osama died but the world is a far poorer place for his life. Among the people who are not mourning his death are all his brothers and sisters, whose once honored name is not any longer so.

milchap, 2soonold and sobore like this.
  3. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Basically, I agree. I find myself surprised by the extent to which the events of 9/11 have left a very ugly scar on my psyche. The death of bin Laden does not correct the trauma of 9/11 for me.

jbcarioca and sobore like this.
  4. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    9/11 changed forever the experience of travel. :(

sobore, 2soonold and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but of life in public spaces too. The world has grown far more suspicious.

milchap, sobore and 2soonold like this.
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was the day the world lost its innocence. There had been many terrorists attacks prior to 9/11, but the magnitude and the fact the attack occurred on US soil woke up the world. Travel is far more painful today, however we will not be intimidated, nor stop traveling. We will live our lives as always, just with a more watchful eye.

2soonold and milchap like this.