Bill would give loose change left at airports to USO not TSA

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Feb 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    LizzyDragon84 likes this.
  2. javacodeguy

javacodeguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any travel related charity would be great too. With all the airline and military connections, I think the USO is also a great choice.

But really anything would be better than just keeping it to themselves. I'm surprised the TSA's first reaction was just to keep it. It would have been a great PR move to just say they were donating it, instead of having a bill come out and tell them to donate it.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why did the TSA keep it in the first place? Shouldn't lost items become property of the facility owner if not reclaimed? I don't think the TSA owns the checkpoint facility anymore than a masseuse owns the massage parlor she's working in.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My concern is that when TSA keeps it, they have less incentive to point out to owners that something is about to be left behind. There's also more accountability when they turn it over to a third party--this makes it harder for individual TSA employees to just keep it for themselves.

autolycus likes this.
  5. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on what is meant by "TSA keeps it". If the agency does, I'm not sure it makes a difference to the employee one way or the other if the passenger gets the change or not. If we're talking about TSA employees pocketing it, well, I don't think this bill would address THAT problem.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If TSA is required to turn it over to someone else, that someone else might report the absence of ever getting something from certain airports, for example.

autolycus likes this.
  7. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well there you go again, acting like someone whose job involves reporting things like numbers to someone else. ;)

Sweet Willie likes this.