Bill on doorknob?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by bk3day, Oct 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    This morning I opened my door at a Westin & the bill for my stay dropped to the hallway foor.

The bill had been folded but was not in an envelope.

Consequently, anyone walking by or waiting for an elevator (my room faced them) could have unfolded the bill & learned my personal identifying info (full name, full address, credit card, etc)

Is this the norm? I can't recall ever seeing this practice before in any other hotel I've ever stayed.

2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never seen this at a Hilton. Very strange and not too good IMHO.

[Happily posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone]

kenbo likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree this is a rather bad approach by the hotel. If they want to drop the folio in the guest's room then slip it in under the floor especially if the credit card numbers are all exposed which is a whole other story. Shame on this property!

kenbo likes this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you bring it up with the hotel mgmt?

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone

5. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had to run off to a meeting but I plan to.

BTW, who should I ask to speak with?

This will be a first for me speaking with mgmt. Guess I never had an issue worth the effort. OTOH, this practice is wrong on so many levels.

6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have seen this a few times in various SPG hotels. They often slip them under the door, but I have seen the bills sticking halfway out the door into the common hallway. Its a but naughty for them to not ensure that it is securely inside your room as it does contain personal information.

7. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    fwiw, if it were halfway under the door, I wouldn't have as much of an issue. IMO, that shows at least an effort to secure the info.

Rather, my bill & info was resting on the doorknob with no envelope or any attempt to hide it from public view. The fact that my door faced the elevator just makes this worse.

8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would ask to speak to the manager of the property. Also bring it up with SPG.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

9. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you do not have time to speak to management, I would also suggest twittering @StarwoodBuzz, as they seem quite responsive to the customers concerns.

kenbo likes this.
  10. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's bad anyway, but I do have to ask: was the FULL credit-card number on it, or just the last four digits? The latter would make it a little less horrible, but it is still bad. Occasionally I have seen bills not fully under the doors at various hotels, and in one case (not Starwood, don't remember who), was able to -- without touching or moving the bills at all -- check to see how my room rate compared with my neighbors'. As usual, I was proud of the deal I had gotten, ha ha, but the point is, full-view or not, this was none of my business. Also noticed the bills had the names on them, and frankly this also invaded the other guests' privacy. What if John Smith didn't want people to know he was staying there? Didn't notice credit-card numbers but can't say I was looking for them, either.

If they are going to do this, the bill should go ALL THE WAY under the door. I left a lowly La Quinta in Overland Park, Kan., yesterday morning, and noticed -- sleepy-eyed in near dark at 4 a.m. on a trip to the restroom -- it was all the way into the room, probably at least 18" in. So if La Quinta can get it right, Westin should as well!

11. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard of a sock on the doorknob but never a bill :)

On a serious note, I would agree - getting in touch with the mangement would certainly be the right move here.

SC Flier likes this.
  12. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely NOT okay. Big security risk for lots of reasons. Please let us know the response. After hundreds of stays I can't remember a bill ever being put on a door knob (but there was this hotel in Paris where the maid left the door open - but that's another story)

ACMM likes this.
  13. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    An update...upon returning to the room, I took a closer look at the bill.

I erred as my full credit card info was not displayed. However, my full name, addy, SPG number & rate paid were listed.

Approved for a 4pm checkout, I hung the Do Not Disturb sign on the door with a plan to nap & shower before speaking to mgmt & checking out.

Two separate times, housekeeping ignored the sign & without knocking attempted to enter the room. Luckily the security latch stopped them.

Bottom line I spoke to the Director of Front office & detailed all of the above.

She seemed genuinely apologetic & concerned over each of the incidents and will be following up to see they are not repeated.

14. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you tell us which Westin?

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  15. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    It happens at all hotel chains I stay at in the US, including Hilton, it happened just a few weeks back at a Hilton in St. Louis.

Usually, they will slide the bill under the door, but sometimes it will stick out in the hallway. Noone displays the credit card number, but the address will of course be on the bill.

I've never made a big deal about it, I think it's pretty convenient. But if it bothers you, I would just ask the front desk to not leave a bill at your door.

16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was referring to the hanging on the door...

17. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    another update...

Guess the FOD did follow up on this incident as I received an emailed apology from the person in charge of the bill distribution staff.

Back to the issue of the regular practice of "shoving the bill under the door"..while I had never before given it much thought, after this I now would much prefer those bills be placed in envelopes.

canucklehead and ACMM like this.
  18. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the followup and the update.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

19. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had my bill stuck outside of the room once, it snagged on a metal strip underneath the door, since I woke up because of someone fiddling with the door (apparently to rectify the problem ?), I was able to grab it.

So far, I've seen some hotels only use the last four CC digits and expiry (which is a big NO NO !), but some include the full number... :(

I like the hotels that put the bill in an enveloppe and actually seal it, so that you know if someone took a looksy...