Big time airline mile guy wants to know more...

Discussion in 'Avis | First/Preferred' started by betanet, Jan 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. McKinsey a ton of airline miles but never got into the car rental points game... I'm curious: if I rent thrice a year for a total of two weeks, should I get into car rental programs? A problem I have is that so often the prices are extremely different between providers in varying locations, ill ways just go with the cheapest. Am I wrong to do that?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO the biggest benefit of programs like Hertz Gold is the time it saves when picking up the car. Get off the shuttle, look at the board, find your name and space #, go to the car, drive off to the gate. No standing in line and reject insurance offers at the counter.

Most of the time I have used car rentals to keep rarely used airline accounts alive with the 50 or so miles per day. Occasionally there are promos that make it worth targeting a particular program. And Hertz had some good promos last year for their own points program that let me build up a small balance that will be useful when rental rates are sky high somewhere.

tondoleo likes this.
  3. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Frankly I use Hertz points all the time in NYC. Renting a car for a day in Manhattan will cost you $120, but with Hertz all you need is 600pts (500pts for weekend). Also, I've got a lot of value from Avis First with the rent 4 times get a free weekend day.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have yet to find a better strategy than the one you already have. The lowest rate seems to far outweigh the loyalty game. There is no way I'm paying an extra $10 - $15 dollars a day for points or status. Unless you have Hertz plat or Avis Chairman status generally does not come into play either. I feel in the end your 'free days' won't be so 'free'.