Big Hotel Chains Have to Deal With Very Real Risk of Guest Suicides

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Mar 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Big Hotel Chains Have to Deal With Very Real Risk of Guest Suicides

gregm, Newscience and sobore like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    It should be noted this usually happens after guests see the taxes they paid on their bill. :eek:

WilliamQ, satman40, Flyer1976 and 3 others like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I can't help but wonder if this is a larger problem at more expensive properties (e.g., a Ritz-Carlton, equivalent or better) versus the "do-drop inns" (e.g., a Motel 6). And I suspect that this is also somewhat an issue on venues such as cruise ships. I recall a live-aboard dive operator describing how a customer had sadly planned and carried out her suicide while on his boat.

daninstl, gregm and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting thoughts about high-end property suicides, I thought the other way around, as high-end means beautiful, successful and worth living to me personally, but we shouldn't forget that people who want to kill themselves usually plan it, it's not a la minute, mostly at least, and high-end chains do offer skyscraper properties or access to rooftop terraces or have gyms which are located on higher floors, again with outside terraces or windows that open, a good example were recent suicides in NYC incl. from one of the W hotels and a case involving the gym at the Peninsula Hotel. On the other side cruise ships do offer opportunities which could help people to kill themselves, didn't really think about this, but this could incl. going overboard.

Here's the link involving the W Times Square NYC:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/person-dies-jumping-times-square-hotel-article-1.1707147

Here's the link involving the Peninsula NYC:
    http://nypost.com/2012/08/09/mans-suv-crushed-after-peninsula-hotel-jumper-lands-on-it/

Overall, it's sad, very sad in fact that some people see no other way out than taking their life. :(

Newscience and gregm like this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    You stole my line!! :rolleyes:

6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    While sad, it should remain the choice of that person. While we may believe there is always be a 'way out', that may not be the case. Every person is the captain of their ship called Life. (However, involving so many innocent outsiders by doing it so publicly may be selfish.)

satman40, LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    While this maybe true, it's important to remember that to help someone in life isn't wrong either, especially when a suicide can be avoided.

gregm likes this.
  8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the cruise ship idea, sink or swim.
    Hard to stop a high rise fall once you take that first step..

Either way, it was their decision, why blame others.
    Welfare and food stamps have became a way of life in this country.
    We have created an entitled society.

gregm, daninstl and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    While it maybe was a conscious decision by them, it's important to remember that the person may have been in distress and could may be helped, this often makes a crucial difference between life and death here. It's not about blaming others, it's simply of making people aware to hopefully avoid such cases in the future. This has to be a priority and yes, this incl. hotels, but also incl. families and other people who might have known the person who contemplates suicide.

gregm likes this.
  10. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If someone's really determined to kill themselves, they're going to find a way to do it. And there's not much you can do about it.

gregm likes this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem is, most don't try to do something about it. Maybe it sounds naive, but in my world a life is a life worth living and too many people have given up, why? Because they didn't receive any help.

Most people look at people who kill themselves as "failures of some kind", for me, the "society who let them down" are the true failures, especially when the evidence suggests they could help.

Of course, many people will succeed in killing themselves, it will make the press and we move on. Here's a possibility that people wake up and learn something about this theme, which sadly is for most still a taboo, despite it's the 21st century.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    gregm likes this.
  12. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what happened to David Carradine at a Swissotel in Bangkok.

By the way yes cruise ships are a target for people planning to kill themselves. I like the dark humor of this subject but I've had close friends and family take their own lives. It's sad. There is no reason good enough. It only hurts the people they leave behind.

gregm and uggboy like this.