Bid for Business Class Seats

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by Newscience, Oct 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    While visiting the LOT lounge in WAW recently, I came across an advertisement for a program with LOT that allows those seated in coach class to bid for business class seats. See:

http://www.lot.com/us/en/lot-upgrade

Other airlines have similar programs, including Austrian Airlines and Iberia, and a here's a link to an article describing those programs:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/03/travel/place-your-bid-for-business-class/

Has anyone in the Milepoint community bid on seat upgrades? Have you been successful at doing this? Would you care to share any strategies for doing this?

Thanks! :)

2. danielwood

danielwood Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting.................

3. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Air Lingus also has some sort of bidding scheme for vacant business class seats on their flights across the pond.

4. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Auctioning tickets. Sounds like fun. I could see it getting into potential bidding wars that might even make it work out well for the company.

danielwood and Newscience like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, this is an interesting way to perhaps score a comfortable seat for long-haul travel, and would be interested in learning about first-hand experiences with "bidding for business class" seats.

And thanks for the tip on Air Lingus, blackjack-21! Which means that at least 4 European-based airlines are doing this!

And perhaps a potential "bidding war" for such seats would still cost considerably less than full-fare seats, and be a "win-win" for both the airline and the customer?

danielwood likes this.
  6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is an interesting way and I wish they had this the last time I took LO on their rusty 767s. ;)

danielwood and Newscience like this.
  7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Air NZ has this also, albeit using their Airpoints programme rather than cash. TOBB has a thread tracking successful and unsuccessful bids.

Newscience likes this.
  8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, kiwi! I've got to check that out! ;) It seems that Milepoint is behind TOBB in this...

9. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry I should have been clearer, the NZ forum on TOBB has a thread tracking bids. I do not know if the forums for the other airlines that have this option also have a tracking thread.

As Air NZ has relatively few routes with business class the tracking thread isn't too long or cumbersome.

Newscience likes this.
  10. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.