Biarritz and nearby: ideas from you, my FFFs

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by LauraPDX, Apr 13, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    My husband and I will be going to England to see his nonagenarian father in June, and thought we could pop over to the continent for 4 days to have a brief holiday (alone), and use up some of our Club Carlson award nights. Biarritz looked easy enough to get to (and allows us to visit both France and Spain), although it appears that the only Nonstop flights from London are on RyanAir......I thought I would ask all of you experts that have visited the area for suggestions of day trips, hikes, cultural things to do, restaurants etc. We will rent a car once there. Thanks in advance.

2. @LauraPDX do you like going to 2-3 michelin star venues that most likely charge more than 300 dollars per a meal. I ask this question because according to wikipedia
    Donostia is renowned for its Basque cuisine. San Sebastián and its surrounding area is home to a high concentration of restaurants boasting Michelin stars, Arzak (San Sebastián), Berasategi (Lasarte),Akelarre (district Igeldo) and Mugaritz (Errenteria) to mention but a few.[22] It is the second city with the most Michelin stars per capita in the world,[23] only behind Kyoto, Japan. Additionally, based on the 2013 ranking, two of the world's top ten best restaurants can be found here.[24] Adding to these cooking highlights, the city features tasty snacks similar to tapas called pintxos, which may be found at the bars of the Old Quarter.

It is also the birthplace of Basque gastronomical societies, with the oldest recorded mention of such atxoko back in 1870. In addition, it boasts the first institution to offer a university degree in Gastronomy, Basque Culinary Center.[25]

3. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I wouldn't mind eating at one of these restaurants once in my lifetime. I am sure there are plenty of unstarred places that are good too, which is why I was reaching out to the community to see if anyone had been there before.
    We have 4 free nights at the Radisson property (except for the annoying 20 euro a day parking fee. Hoping we can find free parking nearby on the streets), which leaves us having to pay for our food, rental car and flights. We lucked out with one of the flights only costing 51 euros for the two of us one way. The other leg was quite a bit more though.
    We ended up flying in and out of Bilbao on BA (90 minute drive away from Biarritz) and will have a car for the duration to get out into the smaller towns as well. Rick Steves does a tour in the region, and he usually finds moderately priced venues/restaurants for his tours.