BF on 767 flights to Hawaii on CO metal

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Canadi>n, May 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Curious how this differs from normal domestic F, or UA metal F, to/from Hawaii? These flights are internationally configured 767s albeit with CO's old C seat. Given from the east coast these flights are 10-hours, does the catering and other inflight amenities correspond with what one gets flying CO metal internationally, other than no amenity kit. (Appears cost ex-EWR is $250 one-way to upgrade at check-in.)

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    REVUP for this route should be $325 for elites and $450 for non-elites on day of departure.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I checked while on an airplane (UA528 via gogo). :p

As to the amenities, it is the big seat as well as BF-ish catering. Only 3 meal choices rather than 4 IIRC and maybe no cheese course. They definitely still have the ice cream sundaes. There is a second meal near arrival that is similar to the hot lunch sandwich on a mid-con.

Some pix from IAH-HNL a couple weeks ago:
    IMG00955-20110325-1017.jpg IMG00956-20110325-1029.jpg IMG00958-20110325-1055.jpg IMG00959-20110325-1615.jpg

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the details. Still looks like the old fashioned F we used to have on domestic flights in the 80s and before, so suggests worth the money. When I confirmed this upgrade last night when doing OLCI, it was only $250. I am on one of those super MR deals (EWR-HNL-SFO-SEA for $190 a/i) booked in W, and when I saw the price I know what the copay was for using points (which I had considered but couldn't get my miles moved over from my MP account not to mention the flight showed F0 until three days ago when it went to F8) so thought it an overall good deal. All my other segments are on UA metal and had cleared into F a couple of days ago, as with my return flights which are all UA metal albeit with CO codeshare flight numbers. Will post my reflections from the HNL RCC between flights later today/tonight.

5. @ Canadian... you in in HNL?

We're @ the Sheraton

6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually now in the RCC at HNL awaiting my return flight back to SFO onward to SEA. On that crazy $190 EWR-SEA fare. Will be back through on Thursday afternoon on the way back, all UA metal this time, all confirmed in F now.

I consider the extra $250 for BF well worth the expenditure, though a slight chance I could have been opup'd. Still quite comfortable seats and good meal, though I was seated too far back (row 5) to get the beef. Had to settle for chicken which was tender and nicely prepared. Except for the amenity kit and some fancy stuff in the bathrooms, the service felt like international business, or very good domestic F.

7. fadeforward

fadeforward Active Member

Status Points:
    This upgrade is not an easy one to clear, depending on the usual factors (day of week, time of year, status, fare, etc.). As a Plat on a B fare flying HNL-EWR on a Saturday in March, I was first on the waitlist, but BF was booked full with not a SINGLE upgrader, and it promptly checked in full and boarded full, leaving me on a long redeye home. Good luck to you!

8. Dude.. I'd spent $250 to upgrade Toronto Miami.. let alone 10 hr to HNL.. well worth it.

9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Going back tomorrow night on the UA metal HNL-ORD connecting to UA metal ORD-EWR Friday morning. Those segments have all cleared UDU. Guess I did luck out on the CO metal flight. Certainly could not survive this MR in the back! (There's another insane asylum escapee -- i.e. FTer -- doing the exact same flights as me, though he's going back today. He was also upgraded on the CO flight as well as the UA ones. We're in the SFO RCC awaiting the 6:28a SFO-SEA 757.)