Bewildered in Britain!

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by kabobbledoggy, Aug 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kabobbledoggy

kabobbledoggy New Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone~ long time lurker, first time poster. I'm hoping that you savvy travellers can steer me in the right "points" direction. I've just been stationed in England and would like to collect points to come home. I thought "Britain, then surely I want Avios". I nearly fell over when I saw what a flight to the States cost with avios points and crazy surcharges. So I want to know a few things: what are the best points to collect for Europe-US flights? What are Avios good for? What points are handy for European travel? FYI, I'm new to the CC game and just have a Citi AA and a Chase BA. (Not ready to churn yet-although I think those who do are freaking BRILLIANT!)

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to posting! :)
    For travel between Britain and USA, AA miles are very useful. However, flying BA even on AA miles will still require those "crazy surcharges". On the other hand, transatlantic BA flights are extremely comfortable in business and first class.
    If you still have a US address that you can use, you can get yourself more credit card bonuses! APO/FPO addresses should qualify too, but I'm not sure.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that many US-issued CCs will hit you with a nasty surcharge when spending in Britain so that might not be the best way to rack up points.

If you want to travel within Europe Avios are actually pretty useful, with decent rates and minimal fees. The fees on the long-haul flights are bad, but I believe redeeming via Iberia can lessen those to some extent (and the account is basically the same).

4. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP kabobbledoggy!