Beware T-Mobile's Global Value Plan

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by The Boat, Oct 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw where T-Mobile changed the game with their new international data, messaging and calling rates on 10/20. When I called them on 10/21, I inquired as to whether I could get said plan active on my account as I would be traveling to the UK (for a few hours) and Belgium for 10/24-10/27. I was told that it was in fact active and that I should not have a problem.

When I landed in LHR, I received the following:

image.png

And, when I arrived into BRU, I received the following as well;

image(1).png

Now, today, I received a bill from T-Mobile for ~$1620, with $1516 in international data and messaging charges--

Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 13.53.45 PM.png

After talking to T-Mobile Customer Support for 2 hours--and after one of the CSAs telling me that all the charges were to be reversed, a supervisor told me that they could only reverse $900 out of the $1516, and therefore leaving me to pay an additional $600. Additionally, they chalked this up to a glitch, but the supervisor quoted a policy of "only reversing charges up to $1000."

Now, I've filed a complaint with the California Public Utilities Commission and am waiting to hear back from T-Mobile's corporate offices. Is there anyone else that I can contact about this issue?

And, just beware of T-Mobile's new plans...

Newscience, MX, Espan and 2 others like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    OUCH

I would grab all the details and send an email to the folks over at the consumerist. They're usually pretty good at bringing some visibility into this type of thing, or at least you can grab some information about doing some sort of "executive email carpet bomb" that might get you some results.

MX, Espan, tondoleo and 1 other person like this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    As viguera said get some support in your efforts – you have to get the attention of someone that can help you. Put the details on a public facing site and start tweeting/facebook/ect tagging T-Mobile something along the lines "T-Mobile's Global Value Plan a scam? 100 MB of data international data costs $1,500?".

In addition to consumerist you can try to submit a story or post on the forums at http://www.dslreports.com/ which covers most telecommunications now.

Side question – you bill shows roaming on what looks to be non-T-Mobile networks, does that impact the charges?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    Espan, Newscience, tondoleo and 2 others like this.
  4. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will do that, but as to your side question, the T-Mobile website doesn't mention specific networks, but rather countries and both the UK and Belgium are listed as taking part in the new Global Value Plan.

Espan, tondoleo and iolaire like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! This one is indeed worth paying close attention to...

Espan and tondoleo like this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you a simple choice customer? This site seems to say that is the requirement unless you pay another fee: http://www.t-mobile.com/international/roamingoverview.aspx?tp=Inl_Tab_RoamWorldwide

Espan, tondoleo and The Boat like this.
  7. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wowzers; i Was just thinking of jumping ship from Sprint to T-Mobile.

10. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update: T-Mobile called back and offered an one-time $1100. I told them to pound sand and that I have filed a complaint with the CPUC, to which they said "let me try to see if we can do anything else."

theBOAT, Tenmoc, Newscience and 5 others like this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great move. You should not settle for less than advertised -- i.e. no intl roaming fee -- because a $1,100 "discount" still leaves you with a ~$400 bill for 100Mbytes of data, which is the size of the data package that I usually purchase for just $25 from Verizon every time I leave the country...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    MX, tondoleo, viguera and 1 other person like this.
  12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's insane. Watching this thread as I just got my T-Mobile SIM (US) for an international (prepaid) trip next year...

tondoleo likes this.
  13. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the Verizon $25 / 100 mb plan is just a great deal so long as you just need email and the occasional web site surf. Don't know how to solve the voice / text problem yet though. Buying a "package" from Verizon drives your rate down to $1.00 / minute, but, to me , that's no bargain.

tondoleo likes this.
  14. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a temporary IT timing glitch brought about by the newness of the program. Infrastructure is in place to push the notifications, but didn't account for you being a legacy customer which technically means you weren't eligible. This does not mean it's your fault. It's definitely something they should remedy, but I think I understand where the issues are coming from.

As with any large organization they have all their controls in place and hire drones who don't or aren't allowed to think for themselves and analyze a complex situation like this.

I suggest getting the supervisor back on the line and if he can't help, get his supervisor on the line.

Failing that, escalate to corporate. The texts alone should be enough to make them see they offered you something you had every reason to expect and you were operating in good faith.

The Boat and iolaire like this.
  15. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too am intrigued - I have to head into non-t-mobile countries - Have to watch it like a hawk.

MX, The Boat and Newscience like this.
  16. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good for you. I love the arbitrary limits and trying to cut their losses. It's their mistake. They need to make it right.

MX and The Boat like this.
  17. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have T-Mobile at work and supposedly a data/call plan, but when I travel overseas (Europe/Mideast), I always get socked with $100's in roaming fees. Invariably, I turn off my mobile phone when not in use, only make phone calls as necessary, and answer all my emails using hotel/work site internet access. I also hook up my mobile phone to the hotel/work site wireless network and use it to make calls charge-free. I know, it's not ideal, but it's a solution of sorts.

The Boat likes this.
  18. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your work probably has a much different corporate rate plan than the Simple Choice plans this applies to, so YMM-definitely-V.

19. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    So far, no call from corporate, but the CPUC is assisting now, hopefully something will come of that. I've also written a complaint to the FCC and FTC, but am holding off sending those out. One of the major problems today was that the CSA and the supervisor kept on telling me that even though it was a glitch, it was still my fault and I would be responsible for the charges. It almost seemed that after I pointed out the text messages that I got on landing, they started to change their tune.

iolaire, TAHKUCT, Espan and 1 other person like this.
  20. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also this fraud took place in the EU, therefore you may have additional consumer protections should you need to go nuclear on them.

The Boat and Tenmoc like this.
  21. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Just beware that the plan is not valid in about half the countries on this planet. I was in Dubai and Qatar (where Vodafone ironically was the provider) and both countries were excluded. When I landed in Dubai, I turned on my iPhone and before I got the warning text, I downloaded my email. That cost me 50 bucks at 20 USD per meg

iolaire and The Boat like this.
  22. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    ETA: Still no response from T-Mobile, even after they said that at the latest, I would hear back today. I guess I'm going to have to call them again to see what the latest offer is.

T-Mobile indicates that 100 countries are on the list right now, with additional ones being added in the near future. While I was on the website, I checked my balance and it still shows ~$1620 as my bill.

iolaire likes this.
  23. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Tommy was refering to VZW plan

24. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Best thing is to have an unlocked GSM phone with SIM or MicroSim, and then buy a local SIM for the country being visited. Calling the US from Europe on a local SIm often costs .05-.07 USD per minute. For data and internet access, it is best to use WiFi.

25. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I disagree with the sweeping statement. Depending on the need, tmobile's plan might be perfect if they get the links worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

The Boat likes this.