Beware of what you bring to US

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Aug 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/special/2012/08/182_116585.html

Bad news was waiting for Park Hwa-young at the end of her 14-hour flight to New York last week. She had to pay $300 in fines at the airport for carrying prohibited food into the U.S.

No, it wasn’t a bag of pungent kimchi or a jar of homemade “doenjang” (fermented soybean paste) planted deep inside her luggage. To her surprise, packets of ramen and instant curry were the items that got her in trouble.

“I had no idea these weren’t allowed. I was feeling a little nervous about my kimchi and doenjang because they smell, but not the instant packages,” said Park, 33, a first-time offender who had all 20 packs of ramen and curry confiscated.

According to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), only “noodles and ramen that do not have meat or eggs in the spice packets” are admissible.

The ramen and instant curry in Park’s luggage all included meat pieces.

Read More: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/special/2012/08/182_116585.html

jbcarioca, aptraveler, skyvan and 2 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Food especially meat, nuts and spices gets people into most trouble. Beside food, plants incl. leaves seams also trouble spots, plus wood products.

jbcarioca, aptraveler, skyvan and 2 others like this.
  3. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca, aptraveler and sobore like this.
  5. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Coming back from my first Asia trip many years ago I had dried galangal, curry paste, and a large supply of kaffir lime leaves among a few other, now forgotten, foodstuffs. The little doggy at the baggage carousel spotted my contents from Candlestick Park and the handler grabbed the lime leaves. The rest was fine.

Since I was declaring everything there was no problem and I think it was a CA thing on the lime leaves because she specified they could contain a 'citrus canker'. Bummer too because that bag would have saved me about $100.

6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    And not just in the US. When I was in high school my family did a trip to Australia and New Zealand, and upon entry to New Zealand my dad was fined and the apple in his bag (he had grabbed it on the flight over) was confiscated.

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just don't bring food across any border when flying amongst developed countries. There are too many regs.

jbcarioca, skyvan, aptraveler and 3 others like this.
  8. trooper
    Original Member

trooper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well... Bring the food... but no matter WHAT it is.. declare it!

We have some of the toughest Quarantine laws in the world here in Oz... but if you have declared "food" on your arrival card the worst that can happen is that some (or all) of it may be confiscated...

Fines are only imposed for failing to declare....

jbcarioca, aptraveler and uggboy like this.
  9. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Exactly. I regularly bring foil gras into the US. I just declare it, and mostly get sent to secondary for a quick couple of questions. On my last trip, the customs officer collecting blue forms asked me what I was bringing in, and she happily sent me on my way.

So, yes, declare it, and, worst case, it gets confiscated, but you will not get fined.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes...reading that story made me realize I had accidentially violated that one a few times. The thought never would've crossed my mind (nor most people's, I would imagine).

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does that include, say, Cannabis Cookies from Amsterdam? (since you put "food" in quotation marks) And do I have to be precise or is "Cookies" sufficiently descriptive to avoid trouble? ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread alarms me. I have been carrying live plants and trees from country to country for years with never a problem. I must have been very very lucky that they never confiscated my Japanese curry mixes.

sobore likes this.
  13. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I need your address, I would like to report you. :D

LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ha